Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Debutante ball

Question
I am a member of a local social club.  I am divorced and remarried.  I am sponsoring my stepdaughter as a debutante and she will be presented at our annual debutante ball.  Should her biological mother be invited to the ball?  If so, should her mother or I be seated next to her father and to whom should she curtsy?

Answer
Dear Ellen:

Wow! I haven't been asked about a Debutante Ball for a long time.  I was presented when I was a senior in high school and that seems like a lifetime ago.

Your first question about whether your Stepdaughter's biological mother should be invited depends whether she is active in her daughter's life. If she has left to live a life apart, then no. If she is currently involved with her daughter, then yes.  Since you are the sponsor (as the mother is always the sponsor of a debutante) you should assume your place next to her Father with her Mother on the left side if she wishes. She may also sit behind you two.  Leave that to her discretion.  As her presenter, you assume your position as if you were her biological mother.  
Your Stepdaughter curtseys to the court - in other generations if there was a member of royalty, the girls would curtsey to the Royal. Since that isn't likely at your ball, the girls curtsey to the court who will be seated at the front of the room.  

I hope you have a wonderful event!

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett