Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Pet Condolence Card Etiquette

Question
I have a question about the proper etiquette for a condolence card for a pet owner.  My friend recently had to have her elderly dog put to sleep.  The animal clinic who treated her dog for many years sent her a condolence card.

My friend was disappointed in the card because it was not *personally signed* by the veterinarian.  Written on the card were the names of the staff and veterinarian (all written in the *same* handwriting, not personal signatures). Should have the veterinarian personally signed the card she sent to my friend?

Answer
Alicia:

Thank you for your question.  My condolences to your friend during her loss.  This is one of those times when "it's the thought that counts".  Although for the staff to have all personally signed their name would have been a more indearing touch, it was nice of the office to send a card.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Constance Hoffman