Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Boss's eating habits

Question
Hi Cynthia,

My boss often has me sit at her desk and type while she dictates, and then leans over my shoulder to read what I've typed. It is a very small office.

Here is my issue: She eats often. Not only is she a loud eater (slurping, sucking, swallowing, crunching) but she talks with her mouth full, and her food usually has an unpleasant odor. She also has become addicted to peppermint candies which she, when not eating, constantly sucks/crunches on. Over the last several months, I've become very sensitive to these noises/smells. I get a little nauseated when she's doing this, and I'm so annoyed I think I'm going to burst.

Is there a proper and/or sensitive way to bring this up with my boss, or should I figure out some coping skills to deal with it? My boss is pleasant, but I'm concerned this will hurt her feelings or offend her. And like I said, it's a very small office so tension and hurt feelings are palpable.

Thank you,
Leigh

Answer
Dear Leigh:

Your dilemma is not unusual. The best way to deal with your boss's annoying habits it to make it about you, not her.  If you criticize her habits and etiquette, you will cause her to defend herself and that won't be pleasant.  I suggest that in private during an informal lunch or coffee that you initiate you should bring up the subject.  In my mind, if you could ask her to join you for lunch - your treat, to talk about how you can contribute more to the success of the company and plan some new goals, this would allow for a situation when you could bring up how you could work better in the office if her eating was done away from you.  You could explain the physical reaction you get and the distraction her eating causes you.  Ask her if there is a better way for you to handle it. Explain it is your sensitive stomach and/sensibilities that are distracting you.

Keep the conversation self-deprecating and light and you will most likely get less annoying workplace.  

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett