Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Pet Condolence Etiquette

Recently, my friend's elderly dog suddenly and unexpectedly passed away at home. The veterinarian who treated her dogs for many years called her to offer her condolences.  

The vet said some comforting remarks, but she also said that what happened was "*inevitable* at his age."  My friend thought this comment was poor etiquette, but I am not sure if it is.  I would appreciate your advice.  Thank you.

Thank you for your question.  I am sure that your friend is dealing with a lot during her loss, and although she may not have liked to hear the truthful statement regarding her elderly dog, I am sure that the vet was trying to convey that there was nothing she nor the owner could have done to extend the dogs life.  

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Constance Hoffman

As a professional etiquette coach and trainer, I am able to assist with any and all of your questions pertaining to social and business skills, party manner, appearance, communication both verbal and written, tipping, email manners and social media, and of course entertaining and dining etiquette.

As owner of Social and Business Graces, I have been teaching children and adults for over 15 years.

Owner of Social and Business Graces

Owner, teacher, coach and author of "Tips on Tipping".