Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Pet Condolence Etiquette

Question
Recently, my friend's elderly dog suddenly and unexpectedly passed away at home. The veterinarian who treated her dogs for many years called her to offer her condolences.  

The vet said some comforting remarks, but she also said that what happened was "*inevitable* at his age."  My friend thought this comment was poor etiquette, but I am not sure if it is.  I would appreciate your advice.  Thank you.

Answer
Alicia:

Thank you for your question.  I am sure that your friend is dealing with a lot during her loss, and although she may not have liked to hear the truthful statement regarding her elderly dog, I am sure that the vet was trying to convey that there was nothing she nor the owner could have done to extend the dogs life.  

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Constance Hoffman