Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Co-worker's Child's Graduation

I am the manager over 44 people. Two of my employees have invited me to their child's graduation party.  I am not close with these employee's and have never met their child.  Am I expected to send a gift - I do not plan on attending the party.

Dear Dianne,
You are not obligated to send a gift, especially if your relationship would make giving a gift seem awkward. They may have invited you out of respect. I think a note of thanks to the parents for the kind invitation when sending your regrets would be a nice touch. Perhaps mentioning something about how proud they must feel, etc. A card to the graduate would be disingenuous since you've never met. I hope this helps.
My best,

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Jay Remer

I am happy to answer any questions about social or corporate etiquette as well as questions regarding international protocol. It is important to practice civility. It is contagious.

I am certified by the Protocol School of Washington as a consultant for corporate etiquette and international protocol. I have been entertaining and giving advise on entertaining for over 40 years.

Weekly column in Telegraph Journal

Graduate of Protocol School of Washington