Social Etiquette and Good Manners/birthday gift

I purchased a birthday gift for my neighbor because she dropped some pretty strong hints about her upcoming birthday & because she had given me a gift on my birthday. For my birthday she presented me with a nice bottle of wine & a half empty bottle of body lotion then told me I owed her 15.00 for the lotion. My husband & I had a prior engagement on her actual birthday so when she dropped over the other day (2 weeks before her birthday) I gave her the wrapped gift & card I had purchased for her.she refused to even touch the gift or card saying " today is not my birthday I will return on my birthday & you will give me a gift then" then she got up & left. I am confused & very hurt. Please advise. Thank you.

Some people are like that, they won't open a gift early for whatever insane reason they have. My mother does this and I could CHOKE her for it because I live in Illinois and she's in Florida so I don't get to see her open it.  You've done nothing wrong and from your description, she's probably a borderline mental case.  Best suggestion, Move.  Quickly.  People don't get LESS crazy as time goes by LOL but seriously, don't let it bother you. You have done nothing wrong and I would think you would be perfectly within your rights to start avoiding this woman.  Who in the HELL gives someone a half bottle of lotion and then wants $15 for it?? Leave the gift on her doorstep on her birthday and then you can avoid seeing her at all. Be nice, you never know when they might snap and go postal!

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Teri Davis Newman

I can answer virtually any question pertaining to manners and etiquette. I am a wedding and party planner in St. Louis, Missouri and I do weddings and parties all over the country! My brides are my number one priority as I understand how important their wedding day is to them! Any questions about catering and cooking for large groups. This would include recipes, cooking techniques, what to serve, how to prevent food poisoning, food storage and food integrity. I have thousands of recipes that are scaled for large groups and gatherings and will be happy to share them! If you are in need of professional assistance for helping you to plan your wedding, party or corporate event, please feel free to contact me! I do a limited amount of weddings and parties every year in order to make sure that I have the best service for my clientele. Feel free to visit my business website at this address: WWW.EXQUISITEEVENTSUSA.COM for detailed information on what services I offer. I have price point weddings for every budget--no matter what size and I am very specific about what you get for your hard-earned money.

I teach etiquette classes for children and adults in the St Louis area. Classes include Table Manners, Table Settings, Invitations, Thank you notes, Condolence Notes and Wedding etiquette for brides and guests.

I attended Charm School as a child in Palm Beach and am currently a corporate etiquette consultant for correct manners in the USA and Japan. I studied Japanese etiquette while living in Tokyo.