Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Friend's Veterinarians Remark

Hello Ms. Newman:  My friend took her sick dog to the veterinarian because he was making a grinding sound with his mouth due to a bad tooth. When examining the dog, the vet told my friend "I can't stand this sound.  I really can't stand this!  This is like listening to someone scratch a chalkboard."

My friend thought the vet displayed poor manners.  I would appreciate your advice. (I'm not sure what the vet should have said.)  Thanks.

I think he was just one of those people who is sensitive to some sounds and he was PROBABLY making conversation with the dog who is his patient.  Most veterinarians don't know the owners as the animal is their patient.  I took my beloved elderly (19 years old) Siamese to the vet for a 6 month checkup and the vet walked in and said "Sapphire--you are looking good for an old gal!!" and then looked at me and said "I'm sorry, what's your name again?"  My cat gets excellent care and the DOG didn't know what his doctor was saying.  It's just some bedside manner issues and I don't think the vet meant to offend you, they truly do forget the humans in their office.  If he takes good care of his patients, nothing else really matters--and it's the ANIMAL he's concerned with, not the owners.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Teri Davis Newman

I can answer virtually any question pertaining to manners and etiquette. I am a wedding and party planner in St. Louis, Missouri and I do weddings and parties all over the country! My brides are my number one priority as I understand how important their wedding day is to them! Any questions about catering and cooking for large groups. This would include recipes, cooking techniques, what to serve, how to prevent food poisoning, food storage and food integrity. I have thousands of recipes that are scaled for large groups and gatherings and will be happy to share them! If you are in need of professional assistance for helping you to plan your wedding, party or corporate event, please feel free to contact me! I do a limited amount of weddings and parties every year in order to make sure that I have the best service for my clientele. Feel free to visit my business website at this address: WWW.EXQUISITEEVENTSUSA.COM for detailed information on what services I offer. I have price point weddings for every budget--no matter what size and I am very specific about what you get for your hard-earned money.

I teach etiquette classes for children and adults in the St Louis area. Classes include Table Manners, Table Settings, Invitations, Thank you notes, Condolence Notes and Wedding etiquette for brides and guests.

I attended Charm School as a child in Palm Beach and am currently a corporate etiquette consultant for correct manners in the USA and Japan. I studied Japanese etiquette while living in Tokyo.