Social Etiquette and Good Manners/joining a private club

Question
Hi Cynthia,

I have a friend who is a member of a private club in my city. Many members of the club are part of the upper class and elite or our area, including business leaders and politicians. Membership is by invitation only. At the club that have networking functions, lunches and dinners etc.

My friend has invited me to have drinks at the club as a guest.

My question is whether there is anything I can do within the bounds of etiquette to encourage my friend to invite me more often to this club and eventually join - or is it a case of "come what may"?

Many thanks

David

Answer
Hi David:

You have a nice friend who has the belief that you might be comfortable in his club and that's why you have been invited.  What you may not know is that every club is looking for new membership that they feel would be an asset to the group. Tell your friend that you have been looking for a club to belong to so that you can socialize with clients and friends and can get to know a professional group of people better.  Ask if his club has membership drives at any particular time of year because you would be interested in learning about them.  

I know this because I belong to the University Club of Washington, DC that has similar membership.  I got invited to lunch by one of the members and expressed an interest in joining and it only took a month before I was a member.  Be proactive.  But... don't gush about the other members or how elite it is.  Simply state that you have been looking for a place like the club to get involved and get to know other professionals.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett