Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Condolences

Question
Hello:

A women that I work with, but not in the same office, recently lost her daughter in an automobile accident.  I want to express my condolences to her, but I do not want to upset her by say that I am sorry to hear the tragic news about her daughter.  What do you suggest?

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
Dear Kenneth:
Thank you for your question.  I can assure you (as a mother who lost her son 9 years ago) that hearing condolences about her daughter's recent death won't be hurtful but helpful.
I suggest you say something like, "I heard about your daughter's accident and I am truly sorry for your loss.  Can you tell me something about her?"
When someone suffers a loss like this, the worst thing to do is ignore it.  It is always helpful to the grief-stricken to know that they are not alone and that you recognize they are going through a tough time.  The greatest kindness you can give them is the opportunity to talk about their loved one and share why they were so special.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett