Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Appreciation Letter

Question
QUESTION: Hello:

I work with a student employee at a state university.  She has been a very good employee kind, polite and eager to help and a very pleasing personality. She will be leaving the job to pursue another requirement before she graduates. I want to send her father a letter indicating how much I and we (other employees) have enjoyed working with her.  Is writing to her father expressing my appreciation of her appropriate?  I'm not sure that she will or will not appreciate reading the letter if her father lets her read it.

I thank you for your reply and advice.

ANSWER: Dear Kenneth:

Thank you for your inquiry.  The best approach to your wanting to compliment this student for the job well done is to write a letter to her directly sharing your thoughts and appreciation.  Unless she is a minor, a letter to her father is not appropriate.  If you know her father personally, you could copy him on the letter you send to her with a handwritten note attached saying how much of a pleasure it was having her work with you.  

QUESTION: Hello;

I want to thank you for your reply!

Would an email message be okay?  I do not have her home address.  I could find it, but I do not know whether or not she would like it that I determined her home address without her telling me what it is.

I thank you for your assistance.

Answer
Dear Kenneth:

The letter from you would mean more if it came in the mail rather than email.  I would send it to her home address.  If you were going to send a copy to her Father, then mail that as well.  Email is easy but doesn't have the same impact.  

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett