Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Hand Shake or Hug

There is a young female, 22 years old, who will be resigning from her job. We currently work together. Usually when someone resigns, he/she is given a comment for a job will done and best wishes to his/her future plans, etc. followed by a hand shake or hug.

Is it appropriate to extend a hand first or to extend both arms to hug the girl, or should she make the first move by extending her hand or arms for a hug?

I thank you for your reply.

Arm and Hand shake
Arm and Hand shake  

Hand Hugs
Hand Hugs  
Thank you Kenneth for your question.  Unless there is a long term, close friendship between the parties it would be best to offer a hand shake.  A warmer jester would be to place your left hand on her upper arm while shaking hands or use both hands during the shake.  Images attached.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Constance Hoffman

As a professional etiquette coach and trainer, I am able to assist with any and all of your questions pertaining to social and business skills, party manner, appearance, communication both verbal and written, tipping, email manners and social media, and of course entertaining and dining etiquette.

As owner of Social and Business Graces, I have been teaching children and adults for over 15 years.

Owner of Social and Business Graces

Owner, teacher, coach and author of "Tips on Tipping".