Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Obtaining Addresses

Question
Hello:

I am thinking about sending a graduation card to a college student who will graduate soon.  We worked together at the same university that she will graduate from.  I obtained her address by checking online.  I do not feel comfortable by getting her address in this way.

Is getting someone's address by checking online inappropriate?  

Won't she wonder how I got her address?

I thank you for your advice.

Answer
As they say, it's the thought that counts.  People who put their address online do this in order to make it easier for people to contact them, so unless you were stalking her during her college career, I doubt it will be a problem.  If you are doing this to further a potential romantic future with her, you can also include your business card along with a casual invitation for lunch, but you MUST wait for her to contact YOU to set this up. If she doesn't respond or declines the invitation, then you must let it go at that point.  A humorous card is the most appropriate, especially if you have the hope of a romance down the line, women love a sense of humor. Write a little note wishing her well and enclose your card with a casual "let's have lunch sometime" invitation.
Merry Christmas!

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Teri Davis Newman