Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Saying Goodbye

Hello Ms. Newman:

There is a young female employee who will be resigning soon from her job where we both work.  Should I approach her and offer her a handshake and offer her all the best for her future, or should I wait for her to approach me to say goodbye?

If she would rather not want me to say anything to her--(for whatever reason(s)--how would I know?

I thank you for your reply and advice.

If she told you personally that she is leaving then you should definitely wish her well a day or two before her last day.  It's never a bad idea to give her your card (or two) and tell her that if you can assist her in any way, feel free to call you.  Who knows who/what she might come of adding her to your network?  However, if you don't know her and she didn't tell you personally she was leaving, you can still tell her you heard she was leaving and wish her well--and again proffer her a card and an invitation to keep in touch and add her to your Linked In. If she was leaving on bad terms, NO ONE would know.  

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Teri Davis Newman

I can answer virtually any question pertaining to manners and etiquette. I am a wedding and party planner in St. Louis, Missouri and I do weddings and parties all over the country! My brides are my number one priority as I understand how important their wedding day is to them! Any questions about catering and cooking for large groups. This would include recipes, cooking techniques, what to serve, how to prevent food poisoning, food storage and food integrity. I have thousands of recipes that are scaled for large groups and gatherings and will be happy to share them! If you are in need of professional assistance for helping you to plan your wedding, party or corporate event, please feel free to contact me! I do a limited amount of weddings and parties every year in order to make sure that I have the best service for my clientele. Feel free to visit my business website at this address: WWW.EXQUISITEEVENTSUSA.COM for detailed information on what services I offer. I have price point weddings for every budget--no matter what size and I am very specific about what you get for your hard-earned money.

I teach etiquette classes for children and adults in the St Louis area. Classes include Table Manners, Table Settings, Invitations, Thank you notes, Condolence Notes and Wedding etiquette for brides and guests.

I attended Charm School as a child in Palm Beach and am currently a corporate etiquette consultant for correct manners in the USA and Japan. I studied Japanese etiquette while living in Tokyo.