Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Graduation Announcements for Non-Traditional Students

Question
I am thirty-eight years old and will finally be graduating from college in May. This will be my first degree. My question is regarding graduation announcements. I will be inviting my immediate family (including my in-laws) to attend the ceremony, but I'm not sure if it's proper to send announcements to extended family. I don't want to appear silly, or as if I am fishing for gifts, but my wife in insistent upon telling the whole would of my accomplishment. Any advice/precedence you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Dear Ryan:

Many congratulations for finishing college with a degree!  That is quite an accomplishment at any age.  It is fine to mention it in a note to close family and friends but a formal announcement isn't sent by the graduate for education beyond High School.  It would be alright for your family to send an announcement however.  Your wife could have a card printed that says something like this to send to extended family and close friends.  

The Family of
Ryan Last Name
is proud to announce
his graduation from
School you graduated from
with a Bachelor of ? in field of study from
School you graduated from
Date of Graduation

If you are employed in your field you could add where you are employed at the bottom.  If you are NOT employed using your degree then skip the job information.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett