Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Baby Shower invitations

Question
Should you send baby shower invitations to people from out of town, knowing they will NOT come the shower?

Would a birth announcement after the baby arrives be more appropriate?

Also, my son lives out of town and I am flying to host the shower.  Two of their closest friends are having babies around the due date of this baby, so friends have not offered to host a party.  Is this ok that I host the party?  

Awkwardly, the location of the baby shower will be at my son's home as their community center is not available during mid-day (which is the time they have chosen for the shower)

Thank you so much for your advice.

Answer
Dear Marian:

Thank you for your question.  Proper etiquette dictates that family members shouldn't host showers (either baby or bridal) because by the very nature of them, they are gift requests.  Regarding whether you should send invitations to people you believe won't attend, the answer is found by thinking like the possible recipient.  Would you feel insulted if you were a close relative or friend and didn't receive an invitation?  Most people would be insulted.  Whether they attend in their mind should be their decision to make not assumed.  

The location of the shower really doesn't matter - whether it is in a home or a public building rented for the occasion.  

Finally regarding birth announcements - they should be sent to those attending and not attending the shower.  The shower and the birth are two distinct occasions. Your family and close friends should know of the happy event and the particulars - name, date of birth, gender, etc.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett