Social Etiquette and Good Manners/HS Grad gift for boss's son

Question
Hi, I'm a veterinarian in a small 3 doctor practice.  I'm the only non-partner in the practice. I just received a high school graduation announcement for my boss's son (2 days after the actual graduation). The son has work as a kennel assistant in the practice a few hours a week for the past few months.  I'd like to get him a gift since I've worked for this practice in different capacities for 16 years (as a tech during the summers for 7 years while in school and a vet for the past 9 years), but I'm unsure what would be appropriate.  I was considering a amazon gift card for $50 and a logo item (tee-shirt) from the college he is attending this fall.  Your thoughts and any suggestions are certainly welcome.

Thank you,

Dr. JF

Answer
Dear Dr. JF:

Thank you for your question.

I think you are spot on with your ideas for graduation gifts for your colleague's son.  Because you haven't known this young man for a number of years, you can't be expected to know his specific likes and dislikes. By giving the gift card, you will ensure that he gets something he REALLY likes, because it will be his choice. (Frankly, I believe that teens and young adults prefer gift cards over ANY specific gift.) The logo item from the college he will attend is a nod to his accomplishment and says you wish him well in the next chapter of his life. Include a graduation card with a handwritten note, and your gift will hit it out of the park.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Nancy Mitchell