Social Etiquette and Good Manners/memorial

Question
My boss's brother passed away and I would like to know if I should attend the memorial. I would like to show my support to him but I did not know his brother and have only worked under him for about one year. Is this over stepping or proper etiquette?

Answer
Dear Joseph,
Thank you for your question. Unless you knew your boss's brother well enough that you would have attended his memorial service anyway, it is not necessary for you to attend. I do suggest however, that you send your boss a sympathy card which simply states that you are sorry for his loss.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett