Social Etiquette and Good Manners/A Woman's Skirt And Slip

Hi Cynthia--I am a man who loves to compliment women.  I love women and I love to give sincere compliments.  I am a sensitive, caring man.  Yesterday, I noticed a woman who was wearing a very soft, beautiful short skirt.  Her skirt came to just above her knees.  She looked so pretty.  I noticed a little bit of her pretty white slip showing, too.  I complimented her on her skirt and quietly told her that her slip was showing.  I then mentioned that her slip looked very pretty, too.  She seemed to appreciate my comments.  Would most women appreciate a compliment about their slip or is that compliment too personal?  I'd like your thoughts on this.  Thank you so much....Larry.

Dear Larry:

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you would be a nice friend for any woman, since you actually verbalize  your appreciation.  Your compliment about a pretty dress will almost always be appreciated from a man by a woman.  However, if her slip is showing, you should enlist the assistance of another woman to share that it is showing.  Slips are considered underwear and thus too intimate to want a man's comment.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Cynthia W. Lett

Proper manners with friends,family,colleagues,neighbors and everyone else you know.

I have been an etiquette expert teaching and consulting on the subject worldwide since 1983. I started and serve as the Executive Director of the International Society of Protocol & Etiquette Professionals and am considered a leader in the field of etiquette and protocol training and execution. I edited "Etiquette for Dummies" and have recently written "Lett's Talk - Everyday Etiquette Dilemmas and What to Do about Them". My book, "That's So Annoying:An Etiquette Expert on the World's Most Irritating Habits And What To Do About Them" was published in 2009 and is available wherever books are sold. I taught the Business Protocol class to Master's level students at the George Washington University, Washington, DC for seven years I served as Chief of Protocol for MCI Telecommunications for three years.

International Society of Protocol & Etiquette Professionals, ASTD, PCMA, National Speakers Association

I have been quoted over 700 times in the past 5 years worldwide. Publications include Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Washington Times, NY Times, Washington Business Journal, USA Today, Associated Press, London Times, Newsweek Japan edition, Newsweek US edition and many many more.

I am a Certified Etiquette Professional (CEP) and Certified Protocol Professional (CPP) earned by examination through ISPEP. I have a Master's degree in hospitality law and undergrad degrees in Restaurant & Hotel Management and Public Relations/Interpersonal Communications from Purdue University.

Who's Who Worldwide,Who's Who of American Women, Distinguished Darden Professor (Purdue University).

World Bank, United Nations,US Dept. of State, US. Dept. of the Army, Pentagon, Barclays Global Investors,Accenture,Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, The White House, Dept. of State, AT&T,Bank of America,American Association of Clinical Pharmacies,Ritz Carlton Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Marriott Hotels,Starwood Hotels,and many more.