Social Etiquette and Good Manners/last minute cancellation of birthday party

scheduled birthday party is less than a week away (6 days to be exact) and the guest of honor's (my 80 year old father) health has suddenly taken a turn for the worse - - so much so that we need to cancel the party we scheduled.  I don't have  telephone numbers for most of the invitees and plan on sending a follow-up note informing the guests of the cancellation.  please advise the proper etiquette for such a cancellation.

Thank you.

Send this:  "I'm terribly sorry but due to a severe family illness the invitations to the party must be recalled.  I apologize for any inconvenience and I am hoping you will be able to attend the rescheduled event when we are able to hold it, I'll let you know as as soon as I know.
Thank you for your understanding and support."

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Teri Davis Newman

I can answer virtually any question pertaining to manners and etiquette. I am a wedding and party planner in St. Louis, Missouri and I do weddings and parties all over the country! My brides are my number one priority as I understand how important their wedding day is to them! Any questions about catering and cooking for large groups. This would include recipes, cooking techniques, what to serve, how to prevent food poisoning, food storage and food integrity. I have thousands of recipes that are scaled for large groups and gatherings and will be happy to share them! If you are in need of professional assistance for helping you to plan your wedding, party or corporate event, please feel free to contact me! I do a limited amount of weddings and parties every year in order to make sure that I have the best service for my clientele. Feel free to visit my business website at this address: WWW.EXQUISITEEVENTSUSA.COM for detailed information on what services I offer. I have price point weddings for every budget--no matter what size and I am very specific about what you get for your hard-earned money.

I teach etiquette classes for children and adults in the St Louis area. Classes include Table Manners, Table Settings, Invitations, Thank you notes, Condolence Notes and Wedding etiquette for brides and guests.

I attended Charm School as a child in Palm Beach and am currently a corporate etiquette consultant for correct manners in the USA and Japan. I studied Japanese etiquette while living in Tokyo.