Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Formal dinner seating for two

Question
What would be the correct way to seat two people - an older, married couple - in a large, private dining room with a large table capable of seating upwards of ten guests when needed? The people are very wealthy and the kind of people who dress up to dinner even on a Wednesday night when it's just the two of them, have butler service and formal, old-fashioned manners more reminiscent of a bygone era.

My first instinct would be to seat them at the ends of the table, but surely even though people such as Consuelo Vanderbilt and the 9th Duke of Marlborough apparently considered this to be an eminently suitable arrangement, even the most formally minded couples who actually like each other would find that exceedingly inconvenient?

Answer
Dear Chione:  Thank you for your inquiry. This seems an odd circumstance to me, that two people would be seated alone at such a large dining table unless in their own dining room on a slow night. Because I don't know the whole story (host, occasion, venue, etc.), and I can only assume that there are no other options for seating them at a smaller table, I suggest the following arrangement which I believe will make them the most comfortable --seat the husband at the head of the table and his spouse on his immediate right. If they stand behind their chairs with a horrified look on their faces, step in and offer to make a change to accommodate their preference.

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Nancy Mitchell