Social Etiquette and Good Manners/birthday party etiquette

Question
Dear Jay
an aunt of ours is having a surprise bbq for her husbands (our uncle) 65th birthday party on the same day as our daughters 22nd birthday.
is it improper to bring a cupcake with a candle to light for her at his big milestone event?

Answer
Dear Brianne,
I would resist going down that road personally. I do not know your family's dynamics, however. Traditionally, this would be unheard of, but today's world is far more relaxed. Why not give your aunt a call and ask her. The party is being hosted by her, so her approval would be essential anyway. I hope this helps.
My best,
Jay

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Jay Remer