Social Etiquette and Good Manners/birthday party etiquette

Dear Jay
an aunt of ours is having a surprise bbq for her husbands (our uncle) 65th birthday party on the same day as our daughters 22nd birthday.
is it improper to bring a cupcake with a candle to light for her at his big milestone event?

Dear Brianne,
I would resist going down that road personally. I do not know your family's dynamics, however. Traditionally, this would be unheard of, but today's world is far more relaxed. Why not give your aunt a call and ask her. The party is being hosted by her, so her approval would be essential anyway. I hope this helps.
My best,

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Jay Remer

I am happy to answer any questions about social or corporate etiquette as well as questions regarding international protocol. It is important to practice civility. It is contagious.

I am certified by the Protocol School of Washington as a consultant for corporate etiquette and international protocol. I have been entertaining and giving advise on entertaining for over 40 years.

Weekly column in Telegraph Journal

Graduate of Protocol School of Washington