Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Questions Answered by Expert Suzanne Zazulak Pedro

SubjectDate Asked
Was This Eulogy Inappropriate3/25/2012
  Q: I work in Information Technology at a university. Our department and the library are presently ...
  A: John, I actually had to go back and reread to make sure that this was an eulogy commerative speech. ...
Terminal Illness/Death3/21/2012
  Q: My father is gravely ill and all of the children are making plans to have the one last visit. I am ...
  A: First, I wish to express my deep feelings for you and your family's suffering. I think that if there ...
Death of a current board member3/8/2012
  Q: Our organization just lost a truly loved and respected board member to cancer. We do not want to ...
  A: I am not sure if he had a position of title, you may award him any title and such as Our ...
Ordering more alcohol then paying host3/4/2012
  Q: my question is My Dad, Stepmother and myself all ordered 1 bloody Mary my friend ordered a expensive ...
  A: Sorry for the delayed response, but my husband was admitted in an emergency situation this past ...
Is it rude for someone to ask a gift back?2/14/2012
  Q: My sister-in-law passed down her kid's things to us about 2 years ago. Some furniture; car seats; ...
  A: Somehow I just received this inquiry. I am not sure if it is recent because on my other e-mail, if ...
revert to maiden name for headstone2/12/2012
  Q: I am writing instructions for my children to explain that I want to revert to my maiden name for ...
  A: I don't know how I missed this email. I do apologize, however, I am not privy to the legalities or ...
2 weeks to live1/25/2012
  Q: A former employee has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer and given two weeks to live. What is ...
  A: I am sorry to hear about your colleague's critical condition. You did mention former employee, ...
Witnessing Friend's Parental Discipline12/24/2011
  Q: My question has to do with parental discipline, specifically witnessing a friend using physical ...
  A: I do apologize for the slight holiday delay, but in regard to your question about parental ...
Celebration Weekend?10/10/2011
  Q: A couple years from now, within a couple weeks time frame, my son will achieve his eagle scout, I ...
  A: Congratulations to you and your family for these milestones. I must admit, you have a splendid ...
Corporate Etiquette, re: clothing9/27/2011
  Q: I had received some wonderful advice from this forum before, so hopefully I can get some more ...
  A: I would be happy to outline the details, but I have recently had yet another sudden death in my ...
Birthday invitation9/27/2011
  Q: I am having a birthday celebration for a close friend. One of the guests has asked if she can bring ...
  A: I am sorry for the delay but I had yet another unexpected death in the family. To answer your ...
Highly Offensive CoWorkers9/10/2011
  Q: I work in a supposed "professional" office...which is anything but. There are several highly ...
  A: It sounds like you are definitely out of your element. If you can not appeal to their proper ...
Fundraising for benefit8/7/2011
  Q: Should there be a third party person keeping up with funds for donations and fundraising to help a ...
  A: For the sake of appearances and to make sure there is no impropriety or financial malfeasance, it ...
Obituary Etiquette8/5/2011
  Q: I hope you can help me with this touchy situation. My father owned a trucking business for many ...
  A: First, I wish to thank you for your inquiry, second, I wish to extend my condolences to you and your ...
Help with Grandmother/Cousin7/26/2011
  Q: I will try to give as much information as possible. The problem I'm writing about began when I went ...
  A: First, thank you for your inquiry and giving me the necessary facts of the situation. I had to ...
Social Function Etiquette7/22/2011
  Q: If you are having a conversation, at a bar lets say, with your significant other, and their coworker ...
  A: First, may I thank you for your inquiry. Second, I do know what you were feeling and empathize with ...
Conflict of a wedding to attend on same day as my 60th birthday celebration.7/22/2011
  Q: My 60th birthday falls on the same day as a very close friends wedding. The wedding hall only had ...
  A: Basically, what you have here is a priority conflict. On one hand, you, yourself have a very ...
expensive gift from close family, some way to tell them not to waste their money?7/13/2011
  Q: My sister gave me some mugs that I thanked her for, of course. Then a couple of months later, she ...
  A: Usually, I like to say honesty is the best policy but if you are not comfortable in stating that is ...
Headstone edicate7/11/2011
  Q: There is a antique cemetery on our block (actually on the corner of my parcel). And since the Boys ...
  A: You would need to find out if there is a caretaker or whose authority is it under such as the city, ...
Headstone name7/9/2011
  Q: What surname for a deceased woman who has been widowed 3 times does one put on the headstone of the ...
  A: Most times, when you divorce, you revert to your maiden name and when you remarry you assume your ...
visitors w/o a common language7/9/2011
  Q: I'm expecting Italian guests for a weekend next month.Their daughter and my son are considering ...
  A: First, I think that is a wonderful idea to have a translator at least for some of the duration of ...
Headstone Protocol7/7/2011
  A: Karen, for some reason, I have an email stating you never received an answer from me. So I will ...
When walking with a group of women6/29/2011
  Q: I am the lone male in an office staffed almost exclusively by women (I'm talking 55 women to 5 men ...
  A: It is wonderful that you have ingrained from your southern heritage your gentlemanly manners. I ...
Thank you gifts for 25th Anniversary party6/21/2011
  Q: Several people hosted a surprise party for us and we would like to thank them with more than just a ...
  A: First, let me apologize for my delayed response but my Mother just suddenly died and my world has ...
Gift for Artist whose subject is son3/6/2011
  Q: What gift to do I bring to an old family friend who has his first art exhibit, where one of his ...
  A: How fabulous that a good family member has his first art exhibit open with a picture of your son. ...
Husband's College Graduation annuoncements2/21/2011
  Q: My husband is graduating from a university in May. We decided I would make the announcements since ...
  A: Please accept my apology. Anyway, congratulations to your husband for his benchmark day. ...
HAND SHAKE2/14/2011
  Q: When a male approaches a mixed gender group, does he shake hands with the senior male person first?
  A: If this is in a business situation where it is genderless, as with introductions, the senior person ...
wearing of a hat2/2/2011
  Q: When should a hat be removed?
  A: however, are you referring to a lady? A man? Specifically, what type of hat such as a baseball ...
Re: Mardi Gras Maid Announcement Etiquette1/31/2011
  Q: My stepdaughter will be a maid in a ball this year. Her father for 12 years of her life; she will ...
  A: Traditionally, even with wedding/ engagement announcements,couples have very little control over the ...
addressing female married to a doctor1/14/2011
  Q: Can I (and how?) address a married doctor and his wife and include her first name as well as his. ...
  A: The correct usage is Dr. And Mrs. John Smith not the usage of her first name since they are being ...
baby shower1/8/2011
  Q: I am pregnant with my second baby and a family friend has offered to host a baby shower for me, if i ...
  A: Congratulations on the impending birth on your second child. I must say you have a very nice friend ...
Door Etiquette1/4/2011
  Q: Could I check with you which is correct manners for those entering a doorway - does the person ...
  A: Who ever approaches regardless of whether exiting or entering first, has the right of way. It ...
obituary question12/28/2010
  Q: My brother-in-law passed away today-he is preceeded in death by a wife of several years of which he ...
  A: but I give my condolences for your brother-in-law's passing. I must also apologize for the delayed ...
shaking/waving one's hand at the addressee12/22/2010
  Q: Am I some how warped, or does the rest of the world also consider it rude to be shaking/waving one's ...
  A: I am not sure what the rest of the world considers rude when it comes to shaking someone's hand ...
Step Grandchildren12/21/2010
  Q: My cousin is married and has 2 sons from a previous marriage, one daughter with her husband, and one ...
  A: Whether it is a Christmas card or birthday card, traditionally the signing chain of command would be ...
Thank you notes12/20/2010
  Q: My sister hosted an open house type of Christmas gathering. She kindly asked people not to bring ...
  A: Traditionally, a host or hostess gift is a gift of thoughtfulness and appreciation of the work the ...
wine12/13/2010
  Q: We just had our Annual Xmas Party yesterday. We supply everything. Some guests brought wine as a ...
  A: I received this e-mail regarding your question. I am sorry that I did not receive it in a timely ...
Welcoming our guests from India12/12/2010
  Q: I would appreciate any and all help and suggestions. Our daughter married a man originally from ...
  A: You are very astute in realizing that there is a chism of difference between our two cultures. I ...
invitation to Christmas party with husbands ex-wife12/7/2010
  Q: Is it proper to invite brother in law and his wife and his ex-wife to Christmas so to benefit the ...
  A: I bet your brother and sister-in-law have no clue to your adamant disapproval position of the ...
step great grand children12/2/2010
  Q: writing memorial message about my dad for moms xmas cards {no obit in news)do I include sisters 2nd ...
  A: First may I extend my apologies for the delay, I had not only a family emergency that included a ...
facial expressions when conversing12/1/2010
  Q: When one has had to disagree with one's partner in conversation, or to give evidence for one's own ...
  A: First, I need to extend a sincere apology for my slight delay. I had an extreme family emergency. ...
  Q: is it permissible to smile?
  A: Yes, smiling is an important in establishing rapport with others. In fact, in customer relations ...
Canceling office football party11/18/2010
  Q: We planned to have approximately 40 customers to our office for an football tailgate party on ...
  A: Since this is a marketing event, a poor representation not to mention the cost will not be ...
Invitation Response Etiquette11/10/2010
  Q: I have received an invitation that simply says "At Home" - Champagne, Cottage Pie and Choir 6.30pm. ...
  A: It sounds like you have been invited to a unique party. Basically, "At Home" is similar to in the ...
Tipping11/9/2010
  Q: I often have people ask, " What do you tip your hair stylists?" My response is always, "nothing", ...
  A: I am amazed that someone classifies hairstylist as a professional occupation. It is still ...
Husbands retirement party/cash bar11/5/2010
  Q: Is it acceptable to put "cash bar" on the invitations for my husbands retirement party? We are ...
  A: In this economic climate, I do think it would be better for you to advise your guests prior to their ...
writing formal acceptance11/3/2010
  Q: I received a formal invitation, addressed to my husband and I, in the mail. It is from an ...
  A: If I understand you, this is not a RSVP card, but a request that your formally accept or decline - ...
Restaurant Lunch / Dinner Invitation10/11/2010
  Q: I am planning either a lunch or dinner in the private dining room of a favorite restaurant for my ...
  A: What a lovely idea and special event for your Mother's 85th Birthday. Traditionally, proper ...
Sweet Sixteen Escort9/22/2010
  Q: My daughter has been asked to be one of the escorts for her friend's Sweet Sixteen Party. My ...
  A: I have some questions that need answered to help me assist you accordingly. For instance, in your ...
etiquette9/19/2010
  Q: If a man and his woman are entering a restaurnt and other people are also entering whom should he ...
  A: The gentleman should step aside an open and hold door only if other approach at same time. Let the ...
Headstone Etiquette9/13/2010
  Q: My mother preceded my father in death and is cremated. My father is now very ill and wants to be ...
  A: Kathleen, Thank you for your inquiry regarding headstone protocol.Also, I am sorry to hear about ...
envelope addressing for clergy9/9/2010
  Q: How do I address a formal wedding invitation to a Methodist minister who is also a Ph.D? it will be ...
  A: Michelle, Thank you for your inquiry regarding honorific protocol Formally, the wedding ...
50th wedding anniversary9/6/2010
  Q: what is the proper money amount or gift for the 50th wedding anniversary we are good friends of the ...
  A: Actually, the both the traditional and modern 50th Wedding Anniversary gift is Gold. There are many ...
Birthday party for 4 boys in the same class9/5/2010
  Q: Four of the kids in my son's daycare class are hosting a joint birthday party. They all turn 4 ...
  A: I do see the problem that poses as you have four boys with the same friends which technically a ...
Recognizing special events in the workplace8/31/2010
  Q: and thank you for your time. I manage the "Sunshine Committee" at our school. Whenever there is a ...
  A: I think that is a wonderful idea that you and your Sunshine Committee participates in for the ...
Neighbor's child invites self over8/25/2010
  Q: I live in an upstairs/downstairs duplex. I have a four year old and there is a five year old living ...
  A: It seems that the parents do not reign their child in or to respect other's privacy. Does this child ...
addressing the doctor's wife8/24/2010
  Q: Can the wife of a doctor be called "Mrs. Dr. Scott Jones"??
  A: It is not appropriate if one does not hold a medical degree or a Ph.D., to be addressed as such. ...
Leaving name out of obituary8/24/2010
  Q: My husband is very angry! We own a beautiful, spacious home that I offered to my cousin, with my ...
  A: However, first Phyllis, I would like to extend my condolences to you and your family regarding the ...
Written correspondence8/22/2010
  Q: I would like to ask your opinion on writing personal notes. I have some personalized fold over cards ...
  A: There are formal dictates for your stationary wardrobe. Proper etiquette dictates that you never ...
MOH fired8/18/2010
  Q: Well the time finally arrived. The Bride called my daughter tonight and told her she would not be ...
  A: I am so glad to hear the news about "Carter." You know allot about people in the way they care ...
Attending oath of office ceremony for district judge8/16/2010
  Q: Would you please tell me the proper protocol for attending the oath of office ceremony for a ...
  A: I apologize for the delay in transmission. The ceremony is of honor and respect. You should dress ...
Proper protocol for departures in relationships8/8/2010
  Q: Please forgive me if this seems trivial, but after 3 years, this issue is really grinding at me. ...
  A: Even though you and your boyfriend have conflicting background issues, there is no reason not to ...
she wants my stuff7/27/2010
  Q: I have a friendship that I am concerned about. The friendship is worth something to me but I am not ...
  A: It sounded (past-tense) that she was truly a caring and giving individual, however, lately there, ...
buffet service7/26/2010
  Q: When I am in the buffet restaurant on a ship I sometimes find myself behind someone taking an ...
  A: It is inherent upon all in a buffet line to be respectful of others. You are correct when you say ...
Wedding Invitation Addressing7/20/2010
  Q: I have been told that wedding invitations should be hand addressed. I recently found a store that ...
  A: Etiquette is allowed to change according to the times. This hand rule was pre-computer generated ...
Hospitalization7/18/2010
  Q: My ex mother in law was recently hospitalized. My youngest daughter and I went to visit her, took ...
  A: Divorce does not necessitate an end of a bond with all family members. The use of "ex" is used when ...
Table manners7/17/2010
  Q: My girlfriends 14yr old son asked my "why is ok for women to were hats at the table but not men".
  A: gender specific. It appears that your son has a sartorial eye. Some of the reasons reflects the ...
Step-parenting7/13/2010
  Q: My question is what is the proper way for my stepchildren, ages 7 %26 9 to address me. When their ...
  A: It unfortunately sounds like the real child here is the biological mother. She not only has a ...
baby shower etiquette7/1/2010
  Q: Is it proper for a expecting mother to have a 2nd baby shower when her first child is only 3
  A: Congratulations on expecting a new bundle of joy and also, thank you for your inquiry in baby shower ...
addressing a city official6/24/2010
  Q: My former minister was recently elected to the city council, he received enough votes to be the new ...
  A: Please let me apologize first and foremost for the delay, I have been notified of the following ...
obituary etiquette6/16/2010
  Q: I am writing my fathers obituary and have a bit of a family dilemma. His mother and wife are both ...
  A: May I extend my condolences to you and your family for the passing of your father. For traditional ...
donor name listing6/15/2010
  Q: When listing donors for recognition in a newsletter, with no prefix, should the man's or woman's ...
  A: The rule of thumb is consistency. If there are no honorific, the listing could either be Mr. and ...
thank you notes6/14/2010
  Q: My mother gave my daughter some earrings for a graduation while the family was gathered and my ...
  A: When one receives a gift personally, such as a Christmas present or birthday present, usually the ...
stepmother6/11/2010
  Q: I've raised my stepson since he was 12 years old. He introduces me as his mother. He is now 39 years ...
  A: If you stopped being his stepmother because of a divorce, would that make someone who is a Mother ...
Cards6/8/2010
  Q: Is it not proper for the daughter in law to send birthday, Christmas, etc card to her husbands ...
  A: It is entirely proper for a daughter-in-law to send Christmas cards, birthday cards, etc to her ...
Business Open House6/7/2010
  Q: A good client of ours moved into a new office space. They are holding an open house one evening ...
  A: You are correct, Jennifer, it is not necessary to bring a gift for an open house. What is more ...
office diplomacy6/7/2010
  Q: I am a deputy director of a branch of a Russian insurance company. My boss every Monday after 6 PM ...
  A: It does sound like you have a very giving and caring employer and you are correct in handling not ...
Honorifics6/6/2010
  Q: Good day, I am a Corporal in the Army. Is it appropriate for me to use the title in place of the ...
  A: It is acceptable in formal writing to use Corporal with (ret.) following such as Andrew Smith, ...
Send a graduation card6/3/2010
  Q: My daughter's biological father met her at 26 years of age. He and I got engaged and all was well ...
  A: Jean, if your heart tells you to do it, then follow your heart. A card or gift should be from the ...
Boss' Wedding Anniversary6/2/2010
  Q: I am sending my Boss a bouquet of flowers for his 25th wedding anniversary on behalf of our company. ...
  A: The 25th anniversary is not only a special benchmark in life, but it is getting rare in today's ...
receiving cards6/2/2010
  Q: My friends are having a party for me as i am moving out of town. I have always wondered what the ...
  A: If someone hands you a card in person, it is a nice opportunity for you to open, read and ...
Bridal Shower Planning5/26/2010
  Q: I am a MOH for my good friend of mine. Her mother happens to be my Mom's best friend as well. I am ...
  A: Basically, you are correct and it sounds like you are dealing with a typical nervous Mother of the ...
step-parent etiquitte at high school graduation5/21/2010
  Q: my son is graduating from high school and his mom (not remarried) and my wife and he are all on good ...
  A: First, please allow me to congratulate you and your son on his great benchmark of an accomplishment. ...
Congratulatory etiquette5/20/2010
  Q: My father married a woman six years ago, I may have seen her daughter twice in my life because her ...
  A: Sending cards can be both a personal matter and an informal matter. It depends upon the situation, ...
Politely decline invitation to stay @ relative's home4/25/2010
  Q: A relative offered to "host" us when we make a visit to their city. She is orgainzing a gathering ...
  A: I have the same sentiments. Although I love to see family, it do feel more comfortable staying in a ...
Dining room etiquette4/23/2010
  Q: I run an assisted living facility in the south, several of my residents and guest wear hats in the ...
  A: I have found the following for you. Hat Protocol: ...
Wife's 60th birthday4/20/2010
  Q: My wife's 60th birthday is approaching and it's a surprise party. My wife's daughter is the hostess. ...
  A: Not knowing your personality, these tips my sound contradictory but I wanted to include every ...
Name title4/14/2010
  Q: We have a group of individuals that finished their year probation as new hires and they will be ...
  A: Davis: Thank you for your inquiry regarding honorific protocol. In addressing a mayor in ...
Disrepectfulness4/7/2010
  Q: I have an 8 year old step daughter that is very smart and loves to be around people. At times she ...
  A: Michelle, I understand your issues since I too am a step-parent and know how frustrating it is and ...
Addressing a couple in a card4/2/2010
  Q: When I write a couple a card, do I write Dear Mary and John or Dear John and Mary? Which order is ...
  A: This depends if you are writing a formal business or social note. For a social note, the older ...
cash gifts4/1/2010
  Q: What is an appropriate amount of money to give a grandchild graduating from high school.
  A: Today with the effective of our economy touching everyone, there is not a hard fast rule, but what ...
60th Birthday Party Etiquette3/26/2010
  Q: My sister is giving herself a 60th birthday party and would like to put on her invitation asking for ...
  A: An invitation is a request of asking for someone's presence at the event, not for asking for gifts ...
how to properly address a political head3/19/2010
  Q: Do I use in the mail/e-mail - may I use Hon. or must I spell it out - Honorable as in Honorable ...
  A: For formal protocol, it is always advisable to write the full title such as, The Honorable Judge ...
invitations3/17/2010
  Q: It is well know in my family that my two older sister do not get along and have not spoken for ...
  A: Congratulations on your impending daughter's first Holy Communion. This is truly the first step and ...
cake offering3/11/2010
  Q: My peer workgroup is "honoring a co-workers departure" with the hopes that this person will not ...
  A: With regards to proper etiquette, for a situation that is not pleasant such as your case, honoring a ...
Retirement due to Ilness2/26/2010
  Q: How do we word an invitation for a retirement reception when the individual is leaving the company ...
  A: What a nice gesture the company is doing for their employee! There are several different ways to ...
Toddler Birthday Party2/25/2010
  Q: I wanted to know what can I get as a gift for a toddler on his Birthday when we don't even know him. ...
  A: As I am sure you know as a mother of a toddler herself, that their skills in developmental, ...
gifts2/24/2010
  Q: Someone who sees my daughter everyday gave her a gift of pierced earrings, and my daughters ears are ...
  A: Please allow me to apologize for the delay in responding to your post. I have been experiencing ...
Formal life-long Titles2/21/2010
  Q: If someone who has had multiple elected titled positions, but failed to complete a first term of ...
  A: There is a precedence of rank both in professional and academic honorific. Technically, if an ...
Football pool etiquette2/20/2010
  Q: We won a football pool which we played at a local store in our town. Is there a tipping protocol? ...
  A: Congratulations on winning the pool! Although, there is no "official" protocol for tipping in ...
Addressing Envelope Etiquette2/19/2010
  Q: When addressing an envelope for a bridal shower, should it read: Ms. Olga Walters, Sarah Walters ...
  A: What is the relationship of these women? Mother and daughters? Sisters? If it is a Mother and ...
Inappropriate Inclusion on Invitation?2/19/2010
  Q: I am the advisor for our school's National Honor Society. Each year we hold an induction ceremony ...
  A: Palmer, A ceremony is a prestigious ritual welcoming new members/inductees. A notice of dues ...
Birthday Gift2/18/2010
  Q: For my daughter's 17th birthday, my father told her that his wife would take her shopping for a ...
  A: Lisa, I am sure you and I both remember what it felt like being a 17 year old. We were not legal 18 ...
pibcking a family reunion name2/17/2010
  Q: there seems to be a problem choosing a name for the family reunion .It was said that it should only ...
  A: In past American culture the matriarch was respected as head of the household. Then there was a ...
Charity football pool2/8/2010
  Q: My husband and I won the Superbowl pool (1st and last quarter). We played it at a charity function ...
  A: First of all, congratulations on winning the pool. I know the excitement you and your husband must ...
Thank you notes1/27/2010
  Q: Since being diagnosed and having surgery for breast cancer, I have received several "get well" and ...
  A: Shirley, you are fortunate to have loving and caring friends. They are doing acts of love out of ...
being a good houseguest with children1/26/2010
  Q: I recently had a conversation with a family member that we stayed overnight with. She told me that ...
  A: As a host or hostess, the burden to not only provide but anticipate your guests' every need is the ...
mother of the groom dress1/24/2010
  Q: Mys son is getting married in July and I want to know if its okay to wear a dress i wore for my ...
  A: Congratulations, on your son's pending nuptials. From 2008 to July 2010 has definitely been an ...
Babt Shower1/17/2010
  Q: My daughter is expecting her 1st baby, my first grandchild. Can I, the mother, give her a baby ...
  A: Traditionally, it was friends of the new mother-to-be that would proffer the baby shower. However, ...
new baby1/15/2010
  Q: As a new parent myself I know that new parents get to set the "rules" when it comes to their little ...
  A: First let me congratulate the welcoming of a new life in your family. I can feel your enthusiasm, ...
Memorial plaque1/14/2010
  Q: Our company is dedicating our board room to a former board member who passed away unexpectedly. My ...
  A: The initials of a professional degree(s) are frequently placed after the name instead of the title ...
who to invite from a family to Bar Mitzvah1/2/2010
  Q: We have several families that we are friends with that have children of several ages. The oldest is ...
  A: Faith, I must be honest and give you the textbook answer. A Bar Mitzvah is a sacred and ...
opening door at home1/2/2010
  Q: My husband and I are having a huge debate regarding my son answering the door. We had a party ...
  A: If this was an invited event, then I would have to proffer the answer that the host or hostess ...
Form of payment when dining in a group of friends1/1/2010
  Q: My daughter asked me this question, is there proper payment etiquette when dining out with a large ...
  A: Miller: Thank you for your inquiry regarding dining protocol in a large group. Technically, there ...
Personal titles or forms of address12/31/2009
  Q: It's reassuring to get confirmation of something I had learned long ago. To clarify my mention of ...
  A: I would like to extend to you the very same for 2010. It is hard to believe that it is here! I ...
Personal titles or forms of address12/30/2009
  Q: I was taught many years ago that personal titles (such as Mr., Mrs., Miss, and Ms)should not be used ...
  A: David, your assessment is absolutely correct. One should never introduce themselves with a title, ...
Christmas Gifts - extended family12/30/2009
  Q: My son has two children. They are my Grandsons. He recently re-married in July of this year to a ...
  A: Gale you are use to generously giving your two grandsons gifts for Christmas which is natural. ...
Hostess gift12/29/2009
  Q: I am a teacher, and the family of one of my students has invited me over for dinner. What should I ...
  A: What a nice invitation for dinner that your student has extended to you. Traditionally, a hostess ...
Birthday Dinner at Restaurant12/28/2009
  Q: My husband will be celebrating his 50th birthday soon and he would like to celebrate at a local ...
  A: Lynn, what a lovely idea to celebrate your husband's 50th. Traditionally, proper protocol is when ...
telephone etiquette12/27/2009
  Q: When I receive a telephone call at home, should I tell my husband who I'm talking to so that he can ...
  A: May I thank you for your inquiry regarding telephone etiquette? When receiving a telephone call, it ...
protocol for leftovers at holiday dinners12/26/2009
  Q: Several holidays/year I host dinner for 8-20 people. My sister will offer to bring things and then ...
  A: you bring the host and hostess an offering for your gratitude of their time and effort for putting ...
Manners at a house party12/26/2009
  Q: I have attended many parties at my in-laws housesn and when entering another room, I have come upon ...
  A: You cannot help what you feel. However, you may need to give people the benefit of the doubt. Is ...
Holiday Thank-You Notes12/26/2009
  Q: If my husband and I received separate gifts from a couple, do we send out separate thank you notes? ...
  A: Sending one thank-you note to the couple for your gifts is sufficient. Traditionally, a thank-you ...
marriage12/24/2009
  Q: My fiance & I have been together for over 9 years; he proposed to me on my birthday over a year ago ...
  A: May I send my best wishes to you for your impending wedding. Dee, I must say and remind you that ...
newlyweds and family traditions12/24/2009
  Q: Can a family discuss possibilities of traditions changing and/or remaining the same in order to ...
  A: A new union via marriage has been formed. It is a time to start new traditions as a couple. ...
Family Christmas Dinner12/23/2009
  Q: I am not very familiar with US customs and etiquettes, particularly holiday related, as I was not ...
  A: I wish to thank you for your inquiry regarding holiday protocol. Mika, I must admit that in the ...
Receiving wine as a gift12/22/2009
  Q: I do not drink alcohol, yet receive several bottles of wine every Christmas season from business ...
  A: Terry, not only does this issue of unwanted gifts appear around the holiday season, but all year ...
bridal shower game etiquette12/21/2009
  Q: I won a gift for a game we played at my friend's daughter's bridal shower. I was told that the gift ...
  A: Carol, I must say I am confused. You were told you won a gift then after you left you were told it ...
Christmas party fiasco...12/16/2009
  Q: I invited a 'friend' of mine to a very nice Christmas Party, it was also one of the first times I ...
  A: I must admit Leslie that this sounded like a scene from Sienfeld. However, I have a few questions ...
First names12/15/2009
  Q: In my job I get to interact with police officers a lot (I am not one myself). To address them, I ...
  A: It is always nice and polite to see a formal salutation like how you addressed me, "Dear Madam." ...
Holiday Party12/15/2009
  Q: I had my husband's family to my house for the holidays. We have 3 nieces and nephews from his ...
  A: Bruder: Thank you for your inquiry for holiday etiquette. As much fun as the holidays are, they ...
Signing a card12/14/2009
  Q: when signing a card from my family, do I put my huband's name first and then mine or does it not ...
  A: Carrie, Thank you for your inquiry regarding signature protocol. Although everyone loves to receive ...
Chidlren unwrapping other people's presents12/14/2009
  Q: My husband and I are about to spend the holidays with his family members and there is a child (aged ...
  A: I have been thinking about this issue. Do you have an older child that could pass out the presents ...
Rude or not?12/13/2009
  Q: there is an Aunt in our family that has a very annoying habit. This has happened several times and ...
  A: I must admit that requesting the host or hostess to extend an invitation for other members of the ...
Graduation Announcements12/12/2009
  Q: I graduate college in May 2010 with my Bachelors and was wondering about announcements/invitations. ...
  A: Congratulations, Jackie on your impending graduation. I am sure you and your family are very proud ...
moving from a seat12/11/2009
  Q: Me and my date were having lunch and before we left he excused himself and went to the restroom. I ...
  A: I am going to have to make some assumptions for your scenario since some facts were not included in ...
Etiquette12/9/2009
  Q: My sister in law is asking who should pay for the following; the bridal party, the rehersal dinner, ...
  A: I am not sure in what context you are asking who should pay for the bridal party? what aspect? The ...
Host or Hostess gift12/8/2009
  Q: We are invited to a dinner party at the home of the Alvernia University President in Honor of our ...
  A: Schenk, Thank you for your inquiry regarding hostess protocol. Different factors will play a part ...
Dinner Party Invitation12/5/2009
  Q: My boyfriend and I have been dating about 6 months and I have met the majority of his close friends. ...
  A: In this particular situation it does sound like there is a celebration of their reconciliation. ...
Birthday invitation12/3/2009
  Q: My husband is turning 50 and I would like to celebrate with several of his friends and spouses at an ...
  A: What a lovely idea of having a breaking of the bread with friends at an elegant restaurant in honor ...
Open House Holiday party12/1/2009
  Q: I am confused. I thought that an open house party with the times of 4-8 p.m. meant that you could ...
  A: Cristal, you are correct an "Open-House" is a flexible open-invite. Unfortunately, your hostess is ...
Death/Christmas Greetings12/1/2009
  Q: My mom died in July 2009. I currently live at the same house she had lived at. I am starting to ...
  A: Please may I extend my sympathy to you for the loss of your Mother this past July. Losing a parent ...
inviting a divorced couple to a party11/30/2009
  Q: I am friends with a couple who divorced a year ago. It wasn't a bitter ending but neither of them ...
  A: In answer to your question, No, you are not obligated to disclose your guest list. However, you ...
Excessively late for invited time11/29/2009
  Q: My niece text messaged her father, who was already at my home on time 3:00pm for Thanksgiving ...
  A: It does sound like there were several etiquette faux pas' during your Thanksgiving Dinner. I am ...
Proper address11/27/2009
  Q: How do I address an envelope to a married couple who are both Reverends, including the children?
  A: I am in need of more detail information. Is this for official, or social invitation? Do they all, ...
A grating greeting11/26/2009
  Q: When I am asked the question "How is Darryn today?", and I am Darryn, I get cranky and often don't ...
  A: First, I would wish you a Happy Thanksgiving, but I see you are from the land of down under. I ...
Unwanted Christmas Guest11/24/2009
  Q: My husband is a social butterfly and has many friends. We are planning a Christmas party and there ...
  A: It does sound like Erika that you are going to have a problem if you do not handle this carefully. ...
addressing envelopes to judges11/24/2009
  Q: What is the correct way to address an envelope to a judge and his wife? For example, Judge John Doe ...
  A: Here are a few points: "The Honorable" is never used by the person who holds the office in issuing ...
Office etiquette11/21/2009
  Q: A co-worker and his family's home was recently damaged by fire. Another co-worker collected a huge ...
  A: I am sorry to hear about you co-worker's plight. In 2004, June 13th, I and my 83 year old Mother, ...
lutheran ministers11/20/2009
  Q: Being Catholic I am used to greeting our priests as "Father Joe" or "Father Sam". I have been asked ...
  A: As, I am Catholic also, I have done a little research for you. It depends upon several things. It ...
Christmas presents11/19/2009
  Q: My husband's mother passed away a few years ago. Since then, an older woman (a lonely and unplesant ...
  A: please, may I first apologize in my delay for responding to your question. Usually, I check ...
deb ball - choosing a partner11/19/2009
  Q: my daughter is wanting to do her deb next year but is having trouble choosing a partner, well ...
  A: Congratulations to you, your family and daughter to make her presentation. I notice before ...
Protocol when referencing a judge in a speech11/17/2009
  Q: I will be giving an introductory speech at an event where I will be thanking supporters. One of the ...
  A: May I first congratulate you upon you being selected to deliver the honorary introduction for the ...
child birthday11/17/2009
  Q: My 3 children are all born within 4 days of each other and I am planning on having one party for all ...
  A: First, may I congratulate you for being an exceptional Mom and putting on a birthday party for all ...
Declining Play dates11/17/2009
  Q: My 3rd grade daughter keeps getting invited to a classmates home for a play date. They have visited ...
  A: It sounds like your daughter is a social butterfly at her tender age. However, I think I might be ...
thank yous for cards11/16/2009
  Q: I have a quick question about the proper etiquette when you receive a card. Growing up, my mother ...
  A: I must say that even though I have heard of past stories of proper etiquette requiring one to send a ...
high school graduation monetary gifts11/10/2009
  Q: I'm a disabled mother of a high school senior, so I don't get out to socialize and ask questions of ...
  A: First, may I congratulate you and your son on his success in his impending graduation from high ...
Senior graduation announcements for twins11/10/2009
  Q: I have twin daughters who are both graduating from High School this Spring 2010. Virtually ALL ...
  A: First, I must congratulate you and your daughters on their impending success graduating high school. ...
Protocol for Introductions11/7/2009
  Q: When making introductions of dignitaries at a formal event, can you share the order in which they ...
  A: Kelly, Thank you for your inquiry for protocol introductions. One of "the" cardinal rules in ...
communication methods10/21/2009
  Q: Please, I have some funds, which I want to use to buy some indoor games for the children. To ensure ...
  A: Is this group of children with diversified ages? Are you trying to please a who group of children ...
Thank you notes10/21/2009
  Q: At work we have a secret sisters. I have taken the time effort to shop and buy little gifts for her, ...
  A: Although I am not sure or even heard about secret sisters, you Sarah have a need for concern and ...
respectful communication strategies10/20/2009
  Q: I've emailed you before, and you were a huge help. Please, can you tell me five respectful ...
  A: Check your e-mail under communication. I had answered that question. I feel that I do not age ...
ballet10/14/2009
  Q: i am considering taking my lovely fiance out to the nutcracker. in the process of checking ticket ...
  A: Wow, what a nice surprise you have in store for your fiancee. What a lucky lady! Although ballet ...
Housewarming Invitations10/12/2009
  Q: Is it inappropriate to ask guests to purchase gift cards instead of actual gifts. If it is ok to do ...
  A: In these economical days, I think that the guests would welcome giving a gift card. Today,it is not ...
How to respond to a house guest with a pet10/10/2009
  Q: I am holding a abbreviated family get together for Thanksgiving. I am inviting uncles and aunts and ...
  A: Phillips: Thank you for your inquiry regarding hostess-etiquette. Kris, I have to say being an ...
Double birthday party10/5/2009
  Q: My 5 year old boy got invited to two birthday parties from two very good friends on the same day and ...
  A: It sounds like you have one popular little boy who is already a social butterfly. If there is a ...
Graduation Announcements - Credentials10/3/2009
  Q: Greetings. In May 2008 I completed a masters degree and immediately started a second graduate ...
  A: Let me first congratulate you for your amazing accomplishments. You have exceeded the normal course ...
Death of retired director10/2/2009
  Q: An emeritus member of our organization's board of directors recently passed away. His portrait hung ...
  A: Windley: Thank you for your inquiry regarding honorific etiquette. Well, it truly sounds like your ...
How to politely ask a roommate to wash more10/2/2009
  Q: A friend of ours (mine & my fiance's) is in a tough spot right now and needs a new place to move ...
  A: Lexie, I must admit you have a very delicate issue facing you and your fiance. While I commit that ...
Charging guests for Home Clambake9/19/2009
  Q: Recently my friend/neighbor had invited me to come join her family and friends for a Clambake at her ...
  A: Sue, you must have been surprised as I am that someone would subversively invite you to a party then ...
Profanity in the workplace.9/18/2009
  Q: What if anything can I do about a female co-worker who uses more profanity than I have ever heard ...
  A: Maximino, sounds like you have a sailor for your co-worker. Not only is that distracting, but ...
Introducing a daughter in law9/17/2009
  Q: When my husband and I visit his parents, my mother in law will often introduce us to other residents ...
  A: I hate to disagree with a Mother-in-Law, but, one should always mention the individual's name who ...
wearing white9/16/2009
  Q: Is it incorrect to wear white after labor day as I used to remember. Thanks
  A: I must admit, I remember my Mom telling me how inappropriate it is to wear white after Labor Day. ...
Wedding reception9/14/2009
  Q: I am befuddled and feeling kind of hurt. I was invited to a wedding reception this weekend. It said ...
  A: I would like to first thank you for your inquiry regarding wedding reception etiquette. I must ...
gift to hostess of a shower9/12/2009
  Q: I'm the mother of the bride, and my close friend gave my daughter a beautiful shower. Is it ...
  A: While there is no formal rule in etiquette requiring a thank-you gift for a hostess of a shower, it ...
Funeral Etiquette9/11/2009
  Q: We have several uncles who have divorced several time, what title do we give the 1st set of aunts ...
  A: Smith: Thank you for your inquiry regarding title/honorific etiquette. You may refer to your ...
Baby Shower Hosts/Invitation8/29/2009
  Q: On a baby shower invitation whose names should be listed as hostesses? If there are four hostesses ...
  A: Traditionally, a baby-shower was given by a family member. I would say to hold fast and true to ...
Daughter of the King Ball8/29/2009
  Q: My husband and I ministry is youth, so we are in our second year having a Ball Ages are from 9 ...
  A: Please excuse me, if I inappropriately addressed you in the salutation. From the contents and the ...
writing thanks notes8/28/2009
  Q: I work in a female-dominated field. To my wedding I invited co-workers along with their husbands. ...
  A: First may I wish you, the new bride, "Best of Luck", in your new journey. Second, I would like to ...
Party invitation problem8/27/2009
  Q: My husband is hosting a party for me and it is almost exclusively women. We were very careful to ...
  A: It sounds like you have a very thoughtful and generous husband. How delightful to give you a party ...
no shoes in the house8/24/2009
  Q: i have a do not wear shoes in the house rule, i don't tell people but i have a polite little ...
  A: I can completely agree and sympathesize with your problem of a guest not respecting your house-hold ...
funeral ettiquette8/22/2009
  Q: do you need to send thank you notes after a funeral for friends who have enrolled the deceased ...
  A: I periodically check the open question pool to see if there are any questions needing a proper ...
rides to the airport8/21/2009
  Q: Recently, my cousin, came to the city I live in, which is the Seattle Wa area, to visit other ...
  A: Marsten: Thank you for your query regarding proper guest/hostess hospitality. I must first applaud ...
adult birthday party8/20/2009
  Q: I would like to know what are the best times frames the evening are good for a birthday party for ...
  A: I wish to thank you for your inquiry regarding hostess etiquette. I am making an assumption by ...
gift giving from grandparent8/18/2009
  Q: My mother gave my daughter $1,000.00 for her wedding 14 years ago. 2 years ago when her other ...
  A: You have given me a perplexing question when it comes to answering etiquette questions for "in the ...
Gift to a mentor8/14/2009
  Q: Zazulak Pedro, I have a career mentor who happens to be an acquaintance of my father. They do not ...
  A: I think when one gives a gift out of appreciation is a bountiful act of kindness and thought. I ...
Addressing Presidents8/12/2009
  Q: I've heard several TV newscast and radio anchors refer to President Obama as Mr.Obama. Is that OK to ...
  A: Whether a past President or a sitting President, in any reference or address, the proper usage is ...
Hello8/9/2009
  Q: I'm having my 13th birthday soon and I want to invite my friends in MY AGE GROUP. BUT,my parents ...
  A: " Thank you for your question(s) regarding proper invitation etiquette. It does seem you have a ...
TURNING DOWN A BUSINESS PROPOSITION8/7/2009
  Q: How do I tell the person who is trying to get me involved into a business that I don't want to be a ...
  A: How many times have we wished to just tune "out" those fast-pitching salespeople? Or just yell, ...
Dual Party Invite8/7/2009
  Q: We are hosting a dinner party for my parents in honor of their 60th Wedding Anniversary and also my ...
  A: "L," Thank you first for your inquiry regarding Dual Party Invite. What a wonderful and special ...
monetary gifts8/6/2009
  Q: My nephew and his wife a both earning post graduate degrees this year. He last month and hers this ...
  A: I wish to thank you for your inquiry regarding post-graduation gifting etiquette. Congratulations ...
A Birthday request8/6/2009
  Q: I am sending out invitations to a birthday party in my honor and want to know if I it's ok to say ...
  A: Happy Birthday!!! I must have a wee bit more information from you. What do you mean when you say, ...
Baby Shower Invites8/5/2009
  Q: My cousin is throwing me a baby shower. My mom wants to invite a set of relatives that I haven't ...
  A: While perusing the question pool, I came across your query regarding Baby Shower Invites. What I ...
invitation etiquette8/4/2009
  Q: My sister in law asked us to come for dinner in roughly 3 1/2 weeks. We had already commited to ...
  A: I am sorry I misconstrued the tone of your sister-in-law. However, I do not know your ...
Child's Birthday Party8/4/2009
  Q: We are planning my daughter's birthday party. She will be 5 and we will be going to a local ...
  A: Let me first thank you for your inquiry regarding children's birthday party etiquette. Wow, 5 years ...
How to list 'Mike the third'8/4/2009
  Q: We have to send a thank you to a man named Mike, who is the third, as his father is Mike, Jr. How do ...
  A: I wish to thank you for your inquiry regarding proper protocol when addressing someone without an ...
car ethiquette8/2/2009
  Q: while travelling with some people, & a husband driving the car where should wife sit other than ...
  A: Car seating normally conforms to the situation and the type of vehicle, such as limousine, military ...
overnight guests - bed use8/2/2009
  Q: I have two guest bedrooms with one twin bed each which my past overnight guests (girlfriends) use. ...
  A: As it is thoughtful of you to offer your home and hospitality, one is not required or expected to ...
holding utensils at the table7/31/2009
  Q: I was taught good manners as a child and I am very surprised at the number of people that I see ...
  A: First I want to thank you for your inquiry regarding dining etiquette. Second, that is a very good ...
Child to allow visitor to use bedroom for one night while the child is away?7/27/2009
  Q: Is it reasonable to ask a child (21 yrs old) to allow a visitor to use their bedroom for one night ...
  A: There are some details that maybe you can fill-in. For example, was this a pre-planned visit? Or ...
Office etiquette with ex co-workers7/23/2009
  Q: What is the proper etiquette for this situation? An ex office co worker has called and invited me to ...
  A: My question to you is what do you think his/her motivation was for the invitation? Was it because ...
Seating etiquates while seating in a car.7/13/2009
  Q: There are two ladies & a man in a car; car driven by a lady.Who should sit in the front ?
gravestone etiquette7/9/2009
  Q: Is it proper to have a second wife buried and included on the gravestone of her husband when the ...
  A: Your question not only raises social implications, but legal. If you do not mind, I need more ...
1st Birthday party7/3/2009
  Q: we have a bit of a situation and I am just wondering on what is the correct way to go about this. ...
  A: You mention several points: one being a child's first party is very special. Second, it sounds like ...
appropriate gift7/3/2009
  Q: Just need 40th birthday gift ideas for new love interest. Thanks
  A: You are wise in your careful approach to gift giving for a new love interest. Ideally, you would ...
asking guests to bring food to a party6/30/2009
  Q: My husband and his siblings are throwing a retirement party for both his parents. It will be at a ...
  A: In this economical climate, I fear that if you ask for retirement presents which those gifts cards ...
Noisy Neighbors6/28/2009
  Q: My neighbor has 3 young children who play outside all day. No matter what they are doing, it always ...
  A: You know they say the fence is your best neighbor and sometimes "they" are right. I must admit you ...
Commenting on people's weight6/25/2009
  Q: Is it ok to tell someone they have gained weight, look chubby, look full, etc...in family? My family ...
  A: Etiquette is employed to make others feel comfortable both in their own skin and in unfamiliar ...
Childs Dance Recital6/24/2009
  Q: I am going to my granddaughters first dance recital and she is 3 years old. Do I bring her a gift ? ...
  A: Traditionally, a bouquet of flowers are presented to the dancers after the recital. However, since ...
Sales Home Etiquette6/23/2009
  Q: I work in sales and sometimes I am required to make home visits. In a few of the homes I visit my ...
  A: It is true whether visiting another country or a guest in someone's house (whether domestic or ...
step grandma gift card signing for shower6/16/2009
  Q: my stepson's wife is having a baby shower, should i address the card to the baby or to the parents, ...
  A: I discovered your question regarding baby shower etiquette in the question pool. If you permit me ...
PHD GRADUATION GIFT6/14/2009
  Q: I have been invited [by phone] to a party for the son of a long time friend who graduated with a ...
  A: D. program. Traditionally unlike a graduation announcement, if you receive a graduation invitation, ...
etiquette for rehersal dinner6/2/2009
  Q: My wife and I will be hosting the wedding rehersal dinner for son at a restaurant we have selected. ...
  A: May I congratulate you and your wife on your son's impending nuptials. Traditionally, and still is, ...
Graduation gift or card6/1/2009
  Q: Quandry: an old friend of mine who I rarely see, sent us an invitation to her daughter's HS ...
  A: You have received an invitation for the daughter's graduation? Right? Invitation, not an ...
GOOD MORNING6/1/2009
  Q: I AM THE FIRST TO ARRIVE EVERY MORNING. WITHIN 2 HOURS 10 PEOPLE ARE ARRIVING FOR WORK. MY DESK ...
  A: I am assuming that you are not the receptionist, just a very very punctual employee (?) If you are ...
Baby Shower Etiquette5/30/2009
  Q: My fiance's sister in law planned her own baby showers and sent out the invitations which said they ...
  A: As you are well aware, there are rules and regulation to etiquette. We once had a ...
Self-introduction in a clique-y environment5/29/2009
  Q: Hanson, These are two questions folded into one. I occasionally find myself in an environment ...
  A: I have had the opportunity to review this question in the question pool. There are various reasons ...
dance recital5/29/2009
  Q: both my granddaughter and grandson are in the same creative movement class and will be in the same ...
  A: I came across your question regarding dance recital etiquette in the question pool. Since this is a ...
High School Graduation Party5/29/2009
  Q: My son is graduating from high school and we are having an at home party after the ceremony. We ...
  A: Beck: Congratulations on your son's high school graduation. What a remarkable milestone!!!!!! I ...
A question of modesty5/29/2009
  Q: I have a 52 year old single female friend who's been invited to a party by an aquaintance. She's a ...
  A: The hardest thing by far is telling a fiend something even if it is good for their own benefit -- it ...
Child Birthday Party - LONG DRIVE5/28/2009
  Q: A close friend that I grew up with invites me and my son to her kids birthday parties every year. ...
  A: I have come across your question regarding Children's Birthday Party -To go or not to Go and noticed ...
graduation party for more than one graduate5/28/2009
  Q: I have been invited to several graduation parties that are for 3 graduates, but I don't know all the ...
  A: Usually, the graduation gift is sent prior or brought to the home. This is usually for the close ...
Mothers checkook.5/28/2009
  Q: I have a sibling,a brother,who has our Mothers checkbook as she is incapacited & he has been using ...
  A: I think this question far surpasses etiquette. What you have here is a "change of heart"(to put it ...
Ex-husband giving son graduation gift5/28/2009
  Q: I am in a very strange situation. My ex-husband and I are involved in a lengthy and nasty custody ...
  A: Congratulations on your son's impending graduation. To be brief and to the point, divorce is NEVER ...
URGENT5/28/2009
  Q: I have a huge dilemma and I don't know what to do. My daughter is a senior in high school. We have ...
  A: I want to send a bouquet of "Congratulations" to you, your daughter and family-friends. I ...
Which bed should I offer to a guest couple?5/26/2009
  Q: A long married couple that moved out of town a few years ago has indicated they will be in town next ...
  A: The fact that you offered shows great hospitality on your part, and I feel always the best approach ...
Graduation announcement5/26/2009
  Q: Due to the fact that my daughter was waiting on results of State testing scores, we found out about ...
  A: I must congratulate you, your daughter, her family and friends to be able to share this ...
dating a widow5/25/2009
  Q: When is it even proper to let a person know you might like to see them socially after they have lost ...
  A: I came across this question in the etiquette question pool and noticed that it had not been ...
baby shower5/24/2009
  Q: Who can give a baby shower - Grandmother?
  A: I came across this question in the etiquette question pool. I notice it had not been answered and ...
Is it okay to bring a guest?5/22/2009
  Q: I was invited to a casual social affair that includes dinner on a Saturday by one of my colleagues ...
  A: In today's faced paced society, e-mails are an excellent time-and-paper consumer. However, in the ...
saying good bye5/21/2009
  Q: My husband just walks out the door with no acknowledgment I always thought that the person leaving ...
  A: " Saying "good-bye" is a human response with a multitude of expressions - both verbal and ...
Gift required when high school announcement received?5/19/2009
  Q: A young lady I've known since her birth is graduating from high school in two weeks. She sent me a ...
  A: Weston: Thank you for your question regarding graduation etiquette. Graduation is a rite of ...
Baby shower/engagement party5/18/2009
  Q: I am laying out the invitations for my boss' baby shower/engagement party. How do i word that?How ...
  A: First let me commend you on your graciousness in hosting these truly unique and remarkable events in ...
Graduation gift5/14/2009
  Q: My nephews graduation is this week my sister and I are very close she is always good to me and my ...
  A: However, please provide me with some more information concerning the graduation. Will this be a ...
candles to light or not to light5/12/2009
  Q: I was told that it is indicitive of upper class to pre-light the candles and extinguish them before ...
  A: This is truly a unique question! I am interested if you have any additional information surrounding ...
Signing Cards5/11/2009
  Q: Should I include kids names when signing/sending cards even if they no longer live at home?
  A: It is not necessary to included the children's name in a card if (1# they are over 18 and #2) no ...
asking for gifts5/8/2009
  Q: It is polite for a coworker to ask me for a gift after their birthday and then tell me when to bring ...
  A: " I feel that I might be lacking some vital information. Was this a mandate from upper management? ...

All Questions in This Category

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Suzanne Zazulak Pedro

Top Expert on this page