Social Etiquette and Good Manners/Questions Answered by Expert Constance Hoffman

SubjectDate Asked
An awkward letter9/20/2016
  Q: acquaintance whose father died a month ago. She and I are not close - that's why I didn't hear of ...
  A: Jo: Focus on your friend, not on the person who passed. Keep your message simple and supportive ...
Vests8/18/2016
  Q: Hoffman, Do you have any thoughts on men wearing vests? I enjoy wearing them, but would like to get ...
  A: The shoulders of the vest should always lie flat against your body and below any collar points. If ...
Serving etiquette6/5/2016
  Q: I hope you could kindly enlighten me on serving etiquette. I have helpers at home (maids) and they ...
  A: Your helpers should not be placing the serving trays on the table while guests are present. Should ...
Business dinner1/12/2016
  Q: Hoffman, Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year ma'am. I may be attending a dinner next week ...
  A: Todd: If you are wishing to obtain a position in law, by all means attend as many functions/dinners ...
Standing in Doorways1/6/2016
  Q: As a business owner I am often frustrated by individuals who choose to stand and block entry ...
  A: I suggest a few ideas. Say "excuse me, but I need to get thru......" , or as a leader, when you ...
Hand Shake or Hug12/4/2015
  Q: There is a young female, 22 years old, who will be resigning from her job. We currently work ...
  A: Unless there is a long term, close friendship between the parties it would be best to offer a hand ...
Sneezing & Etiquette8/31/2015
  Q: If a person sneezes and someone says "bless you", is it appropriate for the person who sneezed to ...
  A: The Greeks and Romans took sneezing as a sign of wellness and expressed their good wishes to the ...
Job8/31/2015
  Q: Are there any social etiquette rules that suggest that a person shouldn't ask someone else what ...
  A: A person should not inquire what the profession is of another. Its the adult version of What ...
Short sleeves6/5/2015
  Q: Hoffman, Can I ask your advice on short sleeved dress shirts? Are they ever acceptable as far as ...
  A: Stepping into most workplaces, you would hardly ever see men dressed in short sleeve shirts, and the ...
Soda cans on formal dining table11/29/2014
  Q: For thanksgiving, I have set up s nice dining table with table cloth and napkins, candles. When my ...
  A: Hosting any event in your home allows you to determine how you wish the event/food to be utilized. ...
language10/25/2014
  Q: my wife and i are french canadian when invited at English canadian friends for diner is it polite of ...
  A: As a guest in someone's home, it would be considered rude to speak in French should the other couple ...
stepdads wife7/14/2014
  Q: after 10 yrs of abuse and addiction I left my partner. he was never physical around my children ...
  A: Having a son about the same age as yours, I understand your desire to protect and give advice. ...
Awkward way of sitting6/12/2014
  Q: my name is Ashley, 19 and I have an awkward question to ask. As everyone knows girls normally cross ...
  A: Ashley: Thank you for your question as well as the visual so that I might completely understand. In ...
Pet Condolence Etiquette4/23/2014
  Q: Recently, my friend's elderly dog suddenly and unexpectedly passed away at home. The veterinarian ...
  A: Alicia: Thank you for your question. I am sure that your friend is dealing with a lot during her ...
Pet Condolence Card Etiquette3/18/2014
  Q: I have a question about the proper etiquette for a condolence card for a pet owner. My friend ...
  A: Alicia: Thank you for your question. My condolences to your friend during her loss. This is one ...
Proper Inside Format for a letter2/16/2014
  Q: Can you please advise the proper way to title a former First Lady in the inside address of a letter. ...
  A: Paulette: She is to be addressed as a private citizen. So, for example, most formally, Nancy ...
Dedicated Plaque Etiquette1/28/2014
  Q: 15 years ago, a well-liked co-worker passed away and our small local business employees planted a ...
  A: Peggy: Thank you for your question. The memorial maker should stay with the tree unless the new ...
Is my boyfriend being rude, or is it just me?1/13/2014
  Q: My boyfriend and I have been together 5 years. We're not officially engaged yet, but it's to the ...
  A: Rachel: Thank you for your question. My best advice is change the dynamic as it is not working for ...
death of former mother in law11/7/2013
  Q: What is an appropriate way for me to honor the death of my former mother-in-law,my adult childrens ...
  A: Ms. Koch: I am sorry for the loss of your former mother-in-law. It must be a difficult time for ...
hair and barber tipping11/3/2013
  Q: CAN A NEW TREND BE SET ? Because most people don't get the hair cut they want. If they held their ...
  A: Deanna: Thank you for your question on tipping. Since a tip or gratuity is based on a service ...
Splitting cost of party9/15/2013
  Q: My sister and I are planning to throw a 50th Wedding Anniversary for my parents. We have decided to ...
  A: Congratulations on your parents upcoming 50th wedding anniversary. This is monumental and desires ...
"Hosted By" on Formal Dinner Pary Invitation8/20/2013
  Q: I am composing formal invitations for my mother's 70th birthday party, which will be a dinner at a ...
  A: Sarah: Thank you for your question. And Happy 70th to your mother. Please include your ...
Son3/18/2013
  Q: My son is graduating from the fire academy. I am wondering who should pin his badge on him myself or ...
  A: Congratulations to your son and to you, proud mother. The person to pin the badge should be the ...
wearing coats indoors2/4/2013
  Q: My wife and I arrived at the home of some close friends for a nice dinner and socializing. It was ...
  A: Bill, thank you for your question. If indeed the coat was a winter outdoor coat, your wife should ...
Parent's 50th wedding anniversary2/2/2013
  Q: My parents are going to the beach to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. The problem is: no ...
  A: As much as you would like to share your parents 50th, it is their special celebration and thus how ...
Death of a student1/17/2013
  Q: One of my middle school students has lost both of her parents and the grandmother that was helping ...
  A: My heart goes out to this little angel. I suggest perhaps an album of candid photo of her classmates ...
Bridal Shower1/15/2013
  Q: I am hosting a bridal shower for my daughter in law to be. What is the correct way of mentioning ...
  A: A mother-in-law can host a bridal shower for her relatives and friends. Generally the first bridal ...
greetings in the morning1/4/2013
  Q: Every morning Monday to Friday that staff enters an office where there are two people sitting at the ...
  A: Mary: Thank you for your question. Typically the party entering the room verbally greets those ...
Addressing an envelope11/25/2012
  Q: How do I address a invitation to an anniversary party where the husband is an MD and the wife is a ...
  A: The envelope can be addressed The Doctors Smith or if keeping the names separate, then the woman's ...
Mailing out Wedding Gift10/17/2012
  Q: I appreciate your time in answering my question. If you are not able to attend a wedding, is it o.k. ...
  A: The proper etiquette is to have gifts delivered to the bride's home before the day of the wedding. ...
emails10/9/2012
  Q: This is very subjective I know, and it involves feelings more than etiquette. But given the fact ...
  A: If you enjoying staying in touch and don't mind initiating the correspondence, by all means ...
Family outings/dinner out10/8/2012
  Q: I want to know when my husband and I go out with the kids (16, 11, 9), to meet my husband's sister's ...
  A: Dianna: My first response is that you and your husband need to be singing from the same song sheet ...
extended family relationships after divorce10/2/2012
  Q: My ex-husband and my brother were close friends for many years before we got divorced. My brother ...
  A: I have to agree with your sister-in-law. Your brother and his wife are free to have relationships ...
"have a nice day" sign to not reply?9/17/2012
  Q: When someone emails from work, or even not from work, and ends it with "have a good day" or "have a ...
  A: Lee: Ending an e-mail with "Have a good day: or Have a nice weekend" is a friendly ending not a ...
etiquette after a stillborn8/15/2012
  Q: My cousin Joan and I were raised in an extended Italian family. My children and I have remained ...
  A: Anne: I believe that your son needs time to heal. Allow him to do this at his own pace; when he is ...
Volunteer work6/27/2012
  Q: Hoffman, I have been accepted to serve as volunteer mediator in my county beginning this fall. My ...
  A: Based on your three sections, it would be placed under experience. Even if you were not paid a ...
Problem colleague6/11/2012
  Q: I am a special needs teacher who shares a room with a colleague. Just recently she has taken to ...
  A: Joan: Thank you for your question. This does seem quite uncomfortable thus my suggestion is to ...
sweet 165/22/2012
  Q: I have a question does the sweet 16 birthday girl include her siblings in her court? reason being is ...
  A: The main public role of the court is to perform the first big dance of the party, following the ...
graduation invitations4/23/2012
  Q: how would I word an invitation that they only need to bring and only if they want a gift for the ...
  A: There is no need to indicate on the invitation anything regarding gifts. This is considered tacky ...
Graduation Open House4/13/2012
  Q: I am holding an Open House for my only child and want to invite many of my friends as well as my ...
  A: In the past, any reference to gifts on invitations was considered in poor taste but in light of the ...
introduction3/22/2012
  Q: If an older person is sitting and being introduced to a younger person must the older person then ...
  A: The general rule is that both parties, no matter the sex, are standing/rise for introductions as a ...
your opinion please2/26/2012
  Q: How far can I go in exemplifying good manners to children who are related to me only by marriage? I ...
  A: Correcting other's children is a no-no unless the are doing something to harm themselves or someone ...
Memorial Gifts2/15/2012
  Q: What is the proper way to handle Memorial gifts, in lieu of flowers? Our church Senior Warden's ...
  A: Yes, the wife should have opened and has every right to view the memorial monetary gifts should the ...
Social Introductions of New Wife1/13/2012
  Q: My husband and I have been married about a year and a half. He has a son who is a senior in high ...
  A: Absolutely introduce yourself. Allow a break in the flow of the conversation, reach out your hand, ...
debutante ball12/23/2011
  Q: I am a 17 year old girl and one of my Guy friends asked me to be his date for his sisters debutante ...
  A: It'll be better to be overdressed than under dressed at a deb ball, especially as you know that the ...
party etiquette with dietary needs12/6/2011
  Q: What do you do if you are going to a relatives house for Christmas and you will not be able to eat ...
  A: I assume the relative is distant if they are not already aware of the dietary needs. Non-related ...
picking up the check9/23/2011
  Q: Our family is going to a restaurant to celebrate our parents 50th wedding anniversary. In attendance ...
  A: Congratulations to your parents on such a fabulous milestone. I am pleased to learn that you and ...
Open House Gifts9/16/2011
  Q: My husband and I recently bought OUR first home. He had one, I had one, now WE have one. So many ...
  A: Dalice: Congratulations on your new "together" home. Hand written thank you notes for your guests ...
Hostess etiquette9/4/2011
  Q: At a recent birthday lunch and party, the hostess cut some of the birthday cake for several of the ...
  A: Bill: The poor guest of honor. The hostess was completely out of line. Should she had been aware ...
50th Anniversary gifts7/25/2011
  Q: We are planning our 50th Wedding anniversary celebrations. We have a notion that invitations going ...
  A: The printing of 'No Gifts Please' on the invitation is not acceptable. Family members and attendants ...
divorce and extended family7/24/2011
  Q: When you are divorced, are you legally related to your ex's sister, nieces, aunts, etc? Are they ...
  A: This is the trickiest area. I favor some creative ambiguity, especially in everyday speech. ...
Co-Workers and Baby Shower7/8/2011
  Q: I am getting a list of guests together to hand off to my mom and mother in law for my upcoming baby ...
  A: Megan: Congratulations on your upcoming birth. There is nothing better than being a mother! I ...
Graduation Gift6/24/2011
  Q: I have a daughter in her mid 30's who just graduated from College.She started right after High ...
  A: Ken: Congratulations on have a daughter who has continued her education. Regarding a gift, ...
Addressing Government Officials6/22/2011
  Q: What is the correct way to address a city major in correspondence? Would I use the word Honorable ...
  A: Julia: Thanks for asking this important question. I am going to assume that you are in the US. It ...
Weird Relatives !5/4/2011
  Q: I would like some clarification on this rather thorny matter. I live in the USA though I have a ...
  A: Paul: Ideally guests give gifts to help the couple commemorate the occasion and start their new ...
graduation announcements5/2/2011
  Q: Is it appropriate to send graduation announcements to someone who has a graduating daughter or son ...
  A: Stephanie: Feel free to send a graduation announcement, assuming the other child is not graduating ...
Wedding4/30/2011
  Q: My daughter will be getting married can you please tell me whether she has to walk up the aisle on ...
  A: Tradional Wedding: The father walks to the bride's right. They come down the aisle with the bride's ...
Dual honoree Graduation Party4/27/2011
  Q: I have recently been invited to a "dual honoree graduation party" hosted by the parents of the two ...
  A: It really depends on what you can afford. Any amount is "acceptable" because it's a gift. I'm sure ...
Invites to Housewarming4/10/2011
  Q: Is it proper to invite your soon to be ex-husband's father, and sister to your housewarming party? ...
  A: Sheri: Inviting them depends on the close relationship you have with each of the individually as ...
Tipping the Boss4/8/2011
  Q: I am a good tipper...25 - 35% of every check. I tip the Stylist and the shampoo girl. But I have ...
  A: Lori: If you feel like tipping, give it to the employees, not the owner. The owner should be making ...
Boyfriends manners part #24/8/2011
  Q: Here is the last issue regarding the German boyfriends manners. I am American and this is my first ...
  A: Lee: If you are okay with him burning your CD's then suggest he take 5 at a time, and exchange each ...
Boyfriends manners4/8/2011
  Q: This is a multiple part question/issue regarding manners and etiquette. I will try to fit it into ...
  A: Lee: Although I agree your new friend should have asked before helping himself to something to eat, ...
name cards4/6/2011
  Q: I am writing to inquire whether or not it is appropriate to use your new degree letters behind your ...
  A: Le: Thank you for your question. Graduation announcements should reflect your accomplishment by ...
Baby Shower conflict among co-hosts3/30/2011
  Q: I agreed to co-host a baby shower for my sister-in-law. My sister-in-law wanted to have it at my ...
  A: You have been placed in a nasty situation by the co-host. She is in the wrong. Based on your ...
BOSS ANNIVERSARY3/17/2011
  Q: I have a question in reference to my boss who's wedding anniversary is coming up on the 30th. I ...
  A: Sabah: Thank you for your inquiry. I suggest a plant instead of flower as it is less personal and ...
Attending the funeral of my boss' brother3/7/2011
  Q: Should I attend the funeral of my boss' brother? I do not know the brother and the funeral is a two ...
  A: Dianne: I am so sorry for your boss' loss. The main purpose of having a funeral,other than to bury ...
interruptions3/5/2011
  Q: My wife constantly interrupts our boys and myself. She will ask a question, then interrupt with ...
  A: Darrell: Thank you for your question. First let me explain how we "operate" which is no excuse for ...
7 yr olds Birthday Party2/10/2011
  Q: I am throwing my 7 yr d old daughter's birthday party at Chuck E Cheese. I invited her classmates ...
  A: Laura: It was rude of the parent to make to inquiry as the invite was specifically to you daughters ...
birthday party invitations2/3/2011
  Q: I was invited to a birthday party at a restaurant for a close friend. Appetizers were preordered ...
  A: Ms. Rosinski: I too am stunned and appalled. An invitation to attend a celebration, unless stated ...
Are Placemats Optional for a Dinner table.1/8/2011
  Q: I have a Dinner Table for 6. It is dark brown in color (wood). Itis covered in Glass on the top. ...
  A: Placemats are not mandatory nor are runners or table cloths. Just make sure that when cleaning the ...
Birthday Cake for my son12/31/2010
  Q: I need you help answering a question that is making my blood boil! I am 62 and I have my 37 yr. old ...
  A: Ms. Waters: You are exactly correct. When attending any event/function, public or privately hosted ...
Being Whistled at by my Wife12/22/2010
  Q: As of late, my wife has taken a liking to whisteling at me in public places, in close quarters ...
  A: : Whistling to get someone's attention is in poor taste. Just as is snapping your figures to get ...
Insatiable Charity12/19/2010
  Q: Recently, I received a Christmas card from a charity I once donated to. Enclosed was a note which ...
  A: Elizabeth: Please don't be offended, as charities often contact past donors to solicit for further ...
Retirement Party for Mom12/15/2010
  Q: My mother is planning to retire in the next six months. She has worked in the upper management of ...
  A: Heather: Since your mother has been with the same employeer for such a long time, perhaps you know ...
Email Christmas cards12/12/2010
  Q: Is it proper to send Christmas cards to acquaintances, and some family, by email?
  A: David: While technology is very useful and efficient, sending sentiments such as birthday, ...
2 Families living under the same roof12/3/2010
  Q: My sister's daughter, her husband and their baby are living at my sister's house where my sister ...
  A: Rene: In today's world, many families are combining their living situations for many reasons. ...
Christmas Gifts11/30/2010
  Q: I need an unbiased opinion. My husband and I will attend a Christmas party with my extended family. ...
  A: Brenda: Congratulations on the upcoming birth. Gift giving is just that, giving. A request should ...
What should I wear to the theatre?11/26/2010
  Q: A week from now a friend is picking me up and taking me to a play in DC. Unfortunately, I have no ...
  A: Lizzy: As a major theatre buff, I hope you enjoy your upcoming performance. I love to "dress" for ...
Housewarming Hostess Gift11/22/2010
  Q: I recently bought my first home and my best friend and her mother have decided to throw a ...
  A: Erin: How wonderful that your mother and best friend wish to honor you and your new home with a ...
I need an approprate way to respond to this comment11/20/2010
  Q: I am 31 and have struggled with depression and anxiety my entire life. I also have a 7 year-old son. ...
  A: You are correct the remark is offensive and rude. When an unnecessary comment is made such as the ...
50th birthday party11/17/2010
  Q: My family is hosting a 50th birthday party for me, and i want to invite some co-workers. The event ...
  A: Jane: Happy upcoming 50th birthday. Unless the gathering is for ladies only, you should indeed ...
50th wedding Announcement11/16/2010
  Q: My parents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. They only want a small dinner party, but ...
  A: What a wonderful gesture to included your parents friends in their special tribute. Please make ...
Thanksgiving ivitations- adult kids' ex's and new mates11/13/2010
  Q: For this Thanksgiving, we are faced with how to handle inviting our adult kids, their new love ...
  A: Holiday get-togethers need not be stressful. Please chat with your children regarding their ...
Birthday Cards10/30/2010
  Q: I am married and all my other close relatives live 1,300 miles away. My birthday was today and I ...
  A: First, Happy Belated Birthday Vicki. For many people birthday are a very important celebratory day. ...
cancelled plans involving money10/26/2010
  Q: I made plans to see an event at a local theater with a friend. She bought our tickets in advance of ...
  A: Stacia: Let me keep you savage your friendship. Although it was beyond your control to have to ...
RSVP for Retiring Director10/21/2010
  Q: My director, who has a long history of upper leadership positions, including State Representative ...
  A: What a wonderful gesture to provide a retirement party for such a distinquished leader. I am ...
Receiving Gifts10/19/2010
  Q: My question is about receiving gifts. If you are given a present of an exact thing that you already ...
  A: To reply to your first question regarding receiving a gift that is a dulpicate. It is best to keep ...
Uninvited people10/17/2010
  Q: I recently was invited to a party (one that sells things, such as Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, etc.) by ...
  A: You are not overreacting. In your situation the invitation was only to the one person you invited. ...
Hostess gifts for Progressive Dinner Party9/23/2010
  Q: My husband and I are going to a Progressive Dinner Party with some friends/acquaintances from our ...
  A: Julie: Host/hostess gifts are a much needed touch of saying thank you. Never bring flowers unless ...
Money card9/21/2010
  Q: I have a coworker who is leaving after 7 years. She is becoming a Army wife. Is it proper etiquette ...
  A: Providing a greeting card and a gift is a perfect way to show your appreciation to a departing ...
How do yo ensure that the bill is split evenly?9/19/2010
  Q: How do you ensure that the bill is split evenly? When it comes to meals, I'm not very good at ...
  A: Mike: Thank you for your question. Prior to meeting with your friend, please contact him directly ...
Cloth Napkins9/18/2010
  Q: After dinner should you place your napkin inside your plate,or never place it in your plate? Thanks ...
  A: Bobbie: Thank you for your question. After a meal, once the party is ready to depart the table for ...

All Questions in This Category

Social Etiquette and Good Manners

Constance Hoffman

Top Expert on this page