Social Work/Thesis direction

Question
Hello,

My question is in regards to a mock thesis I am working on for a research methods in Social Work class. I've chosen my topic as factors that influence academic achievement in foster youth, and taking a look from a resilience perspective, i.e. a more resilient foster youth will perform better academically. In this I will be looking at biopsychosocial factors that can categorize a foster youth as resilient or not resilient, relate this to their academic success or shortcomings, to identify factors that influence higher academic achievement...

The thing is I just don't know where to go from here, what to identify as a thesis statement... Do I choose what factors I think produce high academic achievement among foster youth? What direction would I go for a questionnaire, would it be appropriate to question from the perspective of the foster youth (as in, have the foster youth be my sample)

I have no IDEA where to go. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't want to re-invent the wheel I want to go a simple route as possible so if that means tweaking the idea a bit i'm open to that.

Thank you for your consideration!

Answer
Dear Samira

I have the following to offer:

- Take foster youth as your sample.
- If feasible take samples from two or more homes
- Steps
... Write worn your research objectives
... Note down your research questions or hypothesis
... Prepare your questionnaire or look for an available and appropriate items or tools for data collection
... Do a pilot run to check its appropriateness for your work
... Collect data
... Analyse and write your report

You may also take case study approach and resort to qualitative method.

Hope that helps

Dr Garain

Social Work

Swapan Garain