You are here:

Social Work/dependent personality disorder


QUESTION: I've been diagnosed with dependent personality disorder.
When I try to force myself to do something adult, I literally break out into tears and feel like a child.

What are some key things I can do to overcome fear and get better?

ANSWER: Dear Liz

I suggest that you should visit a counselor or psychologist.

Besides, it will be helpful if you practice some mind control exercises atleast for a few weeks or months. You could choose YOGA, meditation or such similar options that will be greatly useful.

Hope it helps

Dr Garain

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you I just started therapy a week ago.

Are there certain medications that you recommend that I can ask my psychiatrist about? Right now I'm on Sertaline and Ativan and I notice no change in my depression and anxiety..

Dear Liz

Thanks for your mail back. I am not a medical doctor and hence will not be in a position to comment on the medicine.

However, Is hall suggest to practice some mental exercises expect depending exclusively on the psychiatric drugs.

Best wishes

Dr Garain

Social Work

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Swapan Garain


Social Service Voluteering


Social Work education training

Social Work

©2017 All rights reserved.