Sociology/Different generations

Is there a universal determination between when one generation ends and the next begins?

And has anyone documented the differences between my generation and those that came before and after? Values? Philosophy? Talents?

Hi James,

A generation is typically considered to be 30 years but that timeframe is not "official" or regarded as standard. But it's most commonly used.

If by "your generation" you mean Millennials (I don't know how old you are!) then the answer to your question is "sort of." Specifically, there have been two very recent, large-scale surveys of Millennials to assess their various attitudes and characteristics. Here are links to them:

But, these surveys do not compare Millennials to other generations. So, the recent surveys on Millennials are intended to give insight about that generation specifically rather than to contrast that population with preceding ones.

I hope that this is helpful, James!

Marc Aperio

I'll be glad to answer any question about sociological theory, sociologists, and social institutions.

I've been studying sociology for 15 years. I'm also currently volunteering in the US, European, and Medieval history categories.

My newest book WE NEED TO TALK: 27 DIALOGUES ON RACE IN AMERICA is available in the Amazon Kindle store. Also the author of AMERICAN REVOLUTION 2016: RATIONALE AND AIMS FOR RADICAL CHANGE

BA History (High Honors)