Softball/Dead ball ruling in an ASA type league

Anthony wrote at 2013-05-12 13:03:58
Mark is correct. The only other action here would be a proper "tag up" from the runner on third. If the runner was off the base at the time of the catch they must return and tag even when awarded the one base for carrying the ball into dead ball area. On an appeal if they do not return and tag after the base has been awarded they are called "out".  

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)