Softball/fair or foul ball?

BretMan wrote at 2009-09-17 14:28:40
All of the bases lie entirely within fair territory. If this batted ball hit first base it was, by rule and by definition, at that point in fair territory!

The sounds like the explanation the umpire gave was totally correct and this was properly ruled as a fair ball.

James A Roberts wrote at 2013-08-12 17:01:23
Although - wouldn't this be a FOUL ball if the ball, going up the 1B side only struck Orange or was 2009 before we started using Orange Safety Bases?  

Enjoying the historical knowledge but curious what your answer would be today.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)