Softball/Interference call

With runners at 1st and 2nd base and no outs. The batter with a 0-2 count. The batter swings and misses for strike 3,  the catcher drops the ball and the batter takes off for first...The umpire rules batter is out and by running she has caused interference and the runner closest to home is also out. There was no contact or blocking of a throw or attempt to catch a throw and runners did not advance. Is this a correct ruling. Where can I find this in the NFHS rule book showing this to be interference.

This was not the correct call.  There was no interference.  This scenario is specifically allowed by rule.  If I recall correctly, you would look in section 5.  This would be covered under batter-runner.  It would have been incorrect even if the runners did advance.

Tom Mielke

Rule and scoring questions for girls/womens Fastpitch Softball. Primarily High School (NFHS) and ASA

Rec, Varsity and Travel Ball Coach and High School Umpire

Michigan High School Athletic Association registered official: Softball, Basketball