Softball/blooper fly ball to 2nd base.

runner on 1st base
batter hits a slow blooper fly ball to 2nd base.
F6 gets to the spot just in front of the base and closes his glove
and places his free hand behind the glove.   
as the ball gets to his glove he directs the ball to the ground and then takes the bounce and tags 2nd and throws to first.
Ump ruled it a dropped caught ball and called the batter out and allowed the runner to stay on 1st base.
it by rule was not a dropped caught ball.

was the ump correct or did the SS take a chance to turn a double play.

Hi kw,

It may depend on the org you play in.

In ASA this would NOT be an IDB, you must actually catch and then intentionally drop the ball.  Simply guiding it to the ground is perfectly legal.

In some other orgs the umpire may call (some of their rules are confusing)a routine catch not caught an IDB if the purpose is to double or triple the runners.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)