Softball/Force out

Question
With a runner at 1st, and the ball hit to the short stop, can the 2nd baseman run to the bag and wait for the ball for the force out. He is not impeding the runner from getting safely to the bag. Our umpire stated he can not be on the bag without the ball.

Answer
Hi John,

He cannot block the base with out possession of the ball if the runner is attempting to attain the base.  F4 cannot w/out possession of the ball hinder the runner from freely touching the base.

Now if you are saying F4 simply went over to the base, put their foot on it and waited for the throw to arrive and the runner was no where near the base or the runner had free access to the base that is perfectly legal for F4 to do.  What I'm picturing here is a routine play at 1st where F3 has their heel on the corner or side of the base while they wait for the throw.  That's how the game is played.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose