Softball/Force out question for Coed ASA softball

runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out, batter hits ball to shortstop.   SS throws to first and records an out on the force out.   The runner on second runs to 3rd base.  The first baseman throws to 3rd, is this a force out still or a tag out just like in baseball.

Hi Joe,

When the b-r is put out at 1st there can be no more force outs anywhere on the bases, there is nothing to "force" the runners.

R1 going to 3rd (or back to 2nd) must be tagged off base in order for there to be an out.  

Even if R1 retreated to 2nd, they are legally entitled to that base and R2 would need to retreat to 1st or be liable to be put out.  R2 must also be tagged to be put out, not just a throw to 1st.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)