Softball/Force out question for Coed ASA softball

Question
runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out, batter hits ball to shortstop.   SS throws to first and records an out on the force out.   The runner on second runs to 3rd base.  The first baseman throws to 3rd, is this a force out still or a tag out just like in baseball.

thanks,

Joe

Answer
Hi Joe,

When the b-r is put out at 1st there can be no more force outs anywhere on the bases, there is nothing to "force" the runners.

R1 going to 3rd (or back to 2nd) must be tagged off base in order for there to be an out.  

Even if R1 retreated to 2nd, they are legally entitled to that base and R2 would need to retreat to 1st or be liable to be put out.  R2 must also be tagged to be put out, not just a throw to 1st.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose