Softball/Switching batter's boxes

In slow pitch senior softball, can a batter switch batter's boxes in the same at bat?  I say yes, but I can't find it in the rule book.  Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,
It's there, you just missed it.

ASA 7-3-e "The batter shall not step directly in front of the catcher to the other batter's box while the pitcher (FP) is taking the signal or (SP) is in a position to pitch, or anytime thereafter prior to the release of the pitch"  Effect, ball is dead and batter is out and runner may not advance.

So as long as you do it before those situations occur, it's absolutely legal.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)