Softball/do you count the run

With runners on 1st and 3rd, ball is hit to second baseman who gets in a run down with the first baseman in an attempt to tag the runner going to second.  In the meantime, the runner on 3rd crosses the plate before the tag out.  Does the run count?  I assume not because it is a force, but I am not sure.

Hi Chuck,

I assume there are 2 outs.  When the batter became a b-r, R2 (on 1st) is "forced" from the base.  I don't why the defense would attempt a run down (too much room for error) when they could simply throw it to F6 at 2nd.

By rule no run can score when the 3rd out of an inning is a force out, as this is.  So you're correct the run doesn't score.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)