Softball/do you count the run

Question
With runners on 1st and 3rd, ball is hit to second baseman who gets in a run down with the first baseman in an attempt to tag the runner going to second.  In the meantime, the runner on 3rd crosses the plate before the tag out.  Does the run count?  I assume not because it is a force, but I am not sure.

Answer
Hi Chuck,

I assume there are 2 outs.  When the batter became a b-r, R2 (on 1st) is "forced" from the base.  I don't why the defense would attempt a run down (too much room for error) when they could simply throw it to F6 at 2nd.

By rule no run can score when the 3rd out of an inning is a force out, as this is.  So you're correct the run doesn't score.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose