BretMan wrote at 2013-02-28 02:43:47
Gary, this wasn't by chance a USSSA slow pitch game, was it? They are the only organization that would rule this play the way you think it should be ruled (ie: runner only gets second base). Their rules consider the base left too soon as being the initial base of the two-base award, then the base beyond that as the second one.

For all other sanctioning bodies, the answer you received is correct. The runner is awarded third base- two bases "forward" from his position when the ball left the fielder's hand. While it may not seem "fair" or "intuitive", it is the correct ruling and is supported by both the rule book and interpretation.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)