Softball/softball/overthrow

BretMan wrote at 2013-02-28 02:43:47
Gary, this wasn't by chance a USSSA slow pitch game, was it? They are the only organization that would rule this play the way you think it should be ruled (ie: runner only gets second base). Their rules consider the base left too soon as being the initial base of the two-base award, then the base beyond that as the second one.

For all other sanctioning bodies, the answer you received is correct. The runner is awarded third base- two bases "forward" from his position when the ball left the fielder's hand. While it may not seem "fair" or "intuitive", it is the correct ruling and is supported by both the rule book and interpretation.

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose