Softball/Infield Fly

Question
Hello,

We have runners on first and second with no one out. The batter hits a pop up between home and first closer to first. The umpire calls infield fly. The ball then lands foul untouched and rolls into fair territory between home and first. What is the correct call? Thank you for your service. I've learned a great deal here.

Answer
Hi Lisa,

It doesn't matter where the ball 1st landed between home and 1st, it is where the ball settles or is 1st touched.  Since the ball rolled fair BEFORE 1st base and settled or was touched there it is a fair ball with the resultant IF and the batter is out.  Also since the ball was not caught runners need not have tagged to advance at their own risk.

Had the ball landed fair and then rolled foul before the base it would be simply a foul ball and no IF, we would cancel it because an IF must be a fair ball.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose