Softball/Ball hits bat second time

Question
Hi mark, batter hits ball and it in fair territory just in front of plate and b-r is totaly  out of batter box . B-r drop bat in fair territory and hits ball second time. What is ruling with  or with out base runners.thanks,chris

Answer
Hi Chris,

If THE BAT is out of the batter's hands, dropped or thrown hits a fair batted ball the ball is dead, the batter is out, and all runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.  It doesn't matter if the batter is in or out of the box.

If the bat is on the ground and THE BALL in fair territory hits the bat the batter is not out and the ball is fair or foul depending on where it's 1st touched or settles.

If the bat or the ball 1st touches a ball in foul territory it is a foul ball.

Mark  

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose