Softball/defensive conferences

Question
QUESTION: In NFHS softball. You are allowed 3-charged defensive conferences without having to remove the pitcher, and on the 4th you have to remove the pitcher and she is no longer allowed to pitch, but in the 4th conference/time out, you remove the pitcher and put someone else to pitch. If I'm not mistaken when you remove a pitcher it is NOT considered a charged conference. So if the coach calls time and removes the pitcher everytime after the 3rd-conference. Would that be considered a 4th charged conference. Can you please educate me if I'm not following the rule

Thanks
Rene

ANSWER: Hi rene,

if you remove the pitcher it is not considered a def conference, simple as that, doesn't count.

Mark

QUESTION: So why is it that it says that if on the 4th conference you have to remove the pitcher and she no longer can pitch. Don't quote me on the rule. I don't have the rule book with me. Maybe I'm reading into it or missing something.

Thanks
Rene

Answer
Hi Rene,

I think I might have misunderstood your question.  Teams get 3 DCs/7inngs, it doesn't have to be w/ the pitcher, can be any defensive player(s).  The Penalty in ASA if you want a 4th is you have to remove your pitcher and they cannot pitch again.  So you could ask for time and talk w/ F5 and F6 and it's a DC AND if it's your 4th, the pitcher is gone.

However if you talk w/ F5 and F6 and then remove the pitcher it is not a DC.  The 3rd "DC" in your OP never occurred because you changed pitchers.  You would still be at 2DCs and have 1 left w/out having to remove the pitcher.

OK?

mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose