Softball/Illegal Pitch

Question
Hi Dr. Ambrose,

My question concerns the illegal pitch. Is the penalty the same for all types of illegal pitches, that being ball on the batter and all base runners advance one base?

Thanks,
Kirk

Answer
Hi Kirk,

I assume FP here, SP is much different....

Well not quite....if the batter hits the IP and reaches 1st base safely and if all other runners have advanced at least one base on the batted ball, the IP is nullified, all action stands.  No option is given.....so in some cases you could have outs called against you even though there was an IP.

otherwise the manager can take the result of the play OR the IP is enforced by a ball on the batter and advancing all runners 1 base.

If the batter is hit by an IP out of the strike zone, the batter is awarded 1st and all runners are awarded 1 base.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose