Softball/Runner hit by Fair Batted Ball with bases loaded

Bases loaded, one out, batter hits ball, all runners leave bases, but the runner leaving first, attempting to advance to second base, is struck by the ground ball. The runner is ruled out, batter gets first, but  what happens to the runner who advanced from second to third, and does the run score from third?

Hi David,

When a runner is hit by an untouched batted ball before it passes an infielder (exc F1) the ball is dead, the runner is out, the b-r is awarded 1st base and all other runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.  In all likely hood here you would still have bases loaded with 2 outs.

If it passes an infielder (exc F1)and no other defensive player had an opportunity to make an out the ball would remain live and we play on.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)