Softball/ASA slowpitch rules

Question
ASA softball COED teams
here is what I see in the rule book for slow-pitch softball.
pitcher should place his pivot foot on the plate for a complete 1 second and then deliver the pitch.
Pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher's plate until the release of the ball.  Pitcher can step to either side to deliver or step back as long as his pivot foot stays on the plate until the delivery or release from the hand.

can the pitcher take two steps going towards the pitching plate step onto the plate and finish walking through to complete a pitch?

asking our umpire to stop the opponents delivery in a game last night and he said it was legal.  Is he right or wrong?  

Thank You

Answer
Hi KB,

Some local orgs and state assoc are experimenting with some different pitching rules, such as MI using a pitching box up to 6' behind the pp.  However in strict ASA play a pitcher cannot "walk through" the pp.  The 1 sec is the pitcher must come to a full and complete stop w/ the ball in front of the body.

Unless you have some local rule this is an IP all the way.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose