have a question today in a game the third time around the order the 6 place hitter got up to lead off an inning and took a pitch that was called a strike, the team on the field realized the mistake and brought it to the umpires attention that the 5 place hitter should be up. the team on the field was correct they did bat out of order and the 5 place batter should be hitting, the umpire just let the 5th place hitter get up and told the 6 place batter to go back to dugout, the 5 th place hitter hit with the same count at 1-0 . i think there should be at least one out for batting out of order . what is the proper call,and what batter is out if that is correct

Hi reggie,

That would be correct if the batter is discovered while at bat the proper batter is put up and assumes the count.  Simple.

"the team on the field realized the mistake and brought it to the umpires attention"  That's a mistake. It is always better for the defense to wait until the boo has completed their turn at bat to make the appeal, that way you do get an out.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)