Softball/boo

Question
have a question today in a game the third time around the order the 6 place hitter got up to lead off an inning and took a pitch that was called a strike, the team on the field realized the mistake and brought it to the umpires attention that the 5 place hitter should be up. the team on the field was correct they did bat out of order and the 5 place batter should be hitting, the umpire just let the 5th place hitter get up and told the 6 place batter to go back to dugout, the 5 th place hitter hit with the same count at 1-0 . i think there should be at least one out for batting out of order . what is the proper call,and what batter is out if that is correct

Answer
Hi reggie,

That would be correct if the batter is discovered while at bat the proper batter is put up and assumes the count.  Simple.

"the team on the field realized the mistake and brought it to the umpires attention"  That's a mistake. It is always better for the defense to wait until the boo has completed their turn at bat to make the appeal, that way you do get an out.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose