Softball/Electronic Communication

Question
We recently played in a tournament where the catcher got her pitching signals from the coach via a headset and earpiece. Is there a specific rule that prohibits or allows this and if so what is it.

Thanks

Answer
Hi Bill,

In ASA there would be a problem, RS11 11.

Communication devices are not allowed on the playing field or in the dug
outs. Head phones and ear phones have been used by coaches to communicate from one coaches’ box to the other, to communicate between coaches and the dugout, and from the stands to the dugout. Signs and signals have been stolen while outside the field of play, stands or the outfield area and communicated to coaches or players. Therefore, umpires must prohibit any
use of such equipment. Electronic scorebooks, however, are not considered
a communication device and are legal for use by base coaches.

mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose