Softball/Interference at home

Question
Dear Sir,
At my daughter' fast-pitch 10-11 year old game tonight, the runner from third attempted to take home on a passed ball.  The catcher retrieved the ball and threw it to the pitcher who tagged the runner.  The batter was left-handed and did not leave the batter's box. My question is should the batter have been called out for interference?  Would it make a difference if the batter was right-handed?
Thank you for your time,
Jeff

Answer
Hi Jeff,

It doesn't matter if the batter is right or left handed the batter's box is not a sanctuary for the batter when a play is being made at hp.

ASA 7-6-s the batter is out...when interfering with a play at home plate.

Now just the fact that they were standing there is not in and of itself interference.  Did the batter impede or hinder the player attempting to make a play.  If they did it is interference, if not, no interference.

The batter just puts themselves in a bad position for an interference call to be made and they need to get out the bb and away from the play.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose