Softball/running past third

Hello Mark,
In one of our matches we had a situation where the second base runner ran to the third base but could not stop her speed and overran the base by three or four steps straight on the same 2nd to 3rd path. The game was being played on some other runner so she decided to start off for home. Her teammates screamed from outside and asked her to tag-up the third. She took a few steps towards the third then decided not to try touching the plate and ran home. She was not tagged on the way.Is she out? Should she have touched the third base after overshooting it and then headed home? And should the fielders have forced her out by standing on the third base with the ball because she should have tagged up?
thanks in advance.          Patty

Hi Patty,

If your runner touched 3rd as she overran it, it is not necessary for her to go back and retouch it before heading to home.

If she did not touch it all she must return and touch it before advancing.

If she did not touch it, a live or dead ball appeal by the defense would be an out call on her.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)