Softball/Softball / Baseball

Hi Dr. Mark R. Ambrose,
I have a question, is there any rule on this situation:
Batter hits a home-run, now when the batter-runner rounds third base the third base coach hi five him or her, which I know is legal but then the remaining players came out of the dug-out and made contact with the batter-runner before he or she crosses the home-plate.
Is this legal?
What is the ruling on that?

Thanks for your assistance.

Hi Sidonie,

In ASA a HR is a dead ball, so there also is no problem. Simple.

In some other orgs such as FED there would be no problem on high 5s (unless a state org has modified the rules on teammates etc.).  High 5s are not "physically assisting" the runner. Your statement "made contact" is not specific enough, even during a dead ball in FED if the runner was determined to be physically assisted such as a push on the back, it is physically assisting the runner and the runner can be called out.  Teammates must be very careful not to give an opportunity for an out to be called and a certain run being missed. There is no reason IMO for any teammate to celebrate with the b-r until they have touched HP, better safe than sorry.

This answer has absolutely nothing to do w/ baseball rules as I know absolutely nothing about them!

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)