Softball/umpire call

Two man umpire one on base...first baseman playing up for bunt...catcher throws to 1st baseman for tag about 30 feet up the line.....who has the call....plate or base ump

Hi Tom,

Excellent question and also a bit of a gray area....usually the PU will take the call up to the 3' lane and the BU after that. You state about 30' up so the b-r is right around the start of 3'lane which makes it a even a little grayer.  Good umpires especially if they haven't worked together a lot should discuss this in their umpire pre-game.

With no one on the PU should be trailing the runner and probably have the best angle.  They should take the call if that's the case.  If I'm the BU I'm hesitating on this call (there's no hurry to make the call, nothing else is going on) and take a look at my partner to see if they're going to take it.  The last thing we want is 2 calls especially if they're not the same.  If I'm the PU, a very quick look at my partner to make sure they're not hurrying the call and communicate  "Tom, my call....then either an tag out or safe mechanic, if they missed the tag.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)