Softball/asa

Question
Why is interference NOT called on br when they run to first when there is a d3K, with first occupied with less than two outs?

We have some coaches that teach their girls to run everytime. MHO, I think it is intentional interference. I understand defense should know what is going on, but it obvious why they run to first, to confuse the defense. Can you give rule number for this? Thanks

Answer
Hi jan,

ASA 8-7-p note. a runner continuing to run and drawing a throw may be considered a form of interference. This does not apply to the b-r running on the dropped 3rd strike rule.

This last sentence has been considered to mean a b-r running on a uncaught strike regardless of the count or base(s) occupied. That's just the way it's (not) called.

All I can tell you it gets much better as the players gain experience.  The catcher is obviously the key to staying controlled and calm in the non DK3 situation (knowing the situation) and not hurrying a play on the batter who ultimately is going nowhere.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose