Softball/ASA coach pitch softball (8 yrs & under)

Runner on 1st base.  Batter hits ground ball to 1st baseman.  1st baseman snags ball, moves over and tags runner while on 1st base (runner on 1st base failed to move) then stepped on 1st base bag to get the batter/runner out.  Is this a double play?  Thanks in advance for your response.

Hi Mark,

It is indeed a double play.  When the batter became a b-r, R1 is "forced" from the base, they no longer have the right to legally occupy it.  So even if tagged while on base they are out and then stepping on 1st base the b-r is out.  

However it must be in that order, tag, step.  If F3 steps on the base 1st it removes the force and R1 cannot be tagged on the base for an out.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)