Softball/ASA Slow-Pitch Batters Box

When playing slow pitch softball 12", how do you determine how far back you can stand in the box without being "out" of the box? Keep in mind, there are no batters box lines painted. Would it be the back of the "strike mat"? Or is it further back than that?

Hi Nate,

W/out lines the box still exists and it would be in the judgment of the umpire as to if both feet were w/in the lines.  A foot may touch the line but no part of the foot may outside the line prior to the pitch.  In sp it is 3 by 7 w/ 4' in front of a line drawn thru the middle of the plate.

Different teams use different mats so I can't speak to that.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)